Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Book

Guest Hill 60

I heard on BBC 3 Counties Radio yesterday a member of Beds County Council's Archive Dept talking about a book he has just written. The book is based on the War Diaries of the 7th Bn Bedfordshire Regt and is called 'The Shiny 7th'.

I think it is available from 'County Books' in Bedford, but I could be wrong, so I'd suggest contacting Three Counties Action on 01582 44 11 11 or gill.gauntlett@bbc.co.uk for the details.

I have nothing to do with the sale of this book, I don't know the author etc but I jut thought it might be of interest to the Pals.

Hi Lee

Dave (bedsyeoman) said the very same this week in a post. Sorry, Im rushing so cant link to it, but it related to a Beds post, possibly by him. Someone in that post said it was good and had loads of letter extracts etc, but a bit 'dry'. Another on the wish list eh?! :D

Steve

By the way. Im moving down your neck of the woods next week. Loads of archives to chew on!! B)

Dare you say where, Steve? B)

Hey Kate

Sunny Bletchley! Well, is sunnier than where Ive been the last 5 years :P ! Good point actually, better slide off and change my details on here ...

Right, gotta move a load of boxes and nonsense now, so see y'all Monday

Steve

The book is by Martin Deacon and is basically a transcript of the war diary, and the private diary of an officer, 2/Lt Cartwright. There are also then and now pictures.

Martin is an archavist with Bedfordshire and Luton Archive and Record Office.

His Grandfather served in the 7th Beds (Pte George Deacon. 29465. M.M.) and came from Husborne Crawley.

If you are after a reference book it is good, but otherwise it may be a bit dry for some tastes.

Cheers.