Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Henry Burns

colin12

Hi,

Where can I find information reference the above Guardsman, my grandad, all I know is that on the 27 June 1912 he transferred to the Royal Flying Corp with two other Guardsmen, we beleive he was in the 3rd Battalion.

Thanks

Colin

Colin

You might want to consider downloading his medal index card from the NA website:

Burns - MIC

He will also be included in McInnes' "A Contemptible Little Flying Corps" - I have a copy at home and will post details this evening.

Kind rgds

Ed

Colin

A fascinating entry for your grandfather in "The Contemptible Little Flying Corps" (McInnes & Webb, The London Stamp Exchange, 1991):

No.100 William Henry BURNS

Born Bethnal Green. As a Cpl in 3 Squadron RFC posted to France 13 August, 1914. He died of wounds received on 6 October 1915 from shrapnel on the second day of the Battle of Loos when a Flight Sergeant still in 3 Squadron. He was taking part in the battle "armed" with an Aldis Lamp acting as a signaller with Major Furse to RFC Observers (Sgt Watts and Cpl Roberts) flying overhead. He is described as a giant of a man and was nicknamed "Tiny". Buried Etaples Military Cemetery (III C 8A) aged 27. Son of William and the late Emily Selina Burns, husband of Elizabeth Burns of 225 Grosvenor Buildings, Manisty Street, Poplar, London.

It also mentions that he led a rescue attempt at Merville Aerodrome on 12 March 1915 when a number of Melinite bombs exploded whilst being loaded. Eleven men were killed and two badly injured.

I'll look into this incident further and report back. Hope the above is of some interest.

You might also like to try the Regimental Archivist at Wellington Barracks, Birdcage Walk, London for details of his service with the Grenadier Guards. When was he born, as a matter of interest?

Kind rgds

Ed

Hi ED,

You gave me some extra info, I am building up a picture of this man, thanks to both you and Gareth.

Your help is greatly appreciated, well done

Colin