Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

117th Brigade RFA Oct 1915 - Jan 1919

anthony osborne

All,

I am in the process of transcribing the war dairy of the 177th Brigade RFA from Oct 1915 to Jan 1919 (was at the NA last thursday and managed to photograph all sections available).

In the mean time if anyone requires look ups of any particular period please let me know but be warned - there is not a huge amount of detail compared to battalion diaries.

Regards,

Ant

Morning Ant,

Firstly many thanks for the offer, greatly appreciated.

I'm after 1 date if you can help please, and for a few days before.

“B” Battery, 117th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery for Thursday 21 June 1917

Many thanks,

Graeme

Graeme,

either I failed to photograph June 1917 or it was missing (typical!) - I will have to go back a double check at some point - so haven't got the detail you are after at present - I'm very sorry.

I can tell you that on 31st May B/117 together with A/117 was attached to the 99th Brigade RFA, B/117 being commanded by Captain H. B. Green, and that on 2nd July embarked on H.H.T Manitou and on the 5th July 1917 disembarked in Alexandria making camp at El Farden.

What is the significance of the 21st June 1917 - there may be reference at some other point in the diary.

Once again I am really sorry to get your hopes up but I will keep you in mind for sure when I next go to the NA.

If you I can help with any more 117th Brigade stuff - I've got all the rest of the diary (Ithink!!!!!!).

All the best - I'll be in touch ASAP!

Ant

• 10 months later...

Hello Ant:

Could I please take you up on your kind offer to look-up?

I am researching Lieutenant Philip Henry Burt Fitch RA who seems to have won the MC and been KIA while with the 77th Brigade RFA

Posted to D Battery, 77th Brigade, RFA on 7 Dec 16

MC for action in June 1917, Messines

"For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty in accompanying another officer and a serjeant into a gun emplacement in which a serious explosion had taken place, bringing out the killed and wounded and extinguishing a fire caused by the explosion amongst the ammunition."

Killed in action while engaged in night-firing by a shell from a field gun on 23 July 1917.

If you find anything on LIeut Fitch I would be delighted to hear from you.

Best regards

Andy

Andy,

Will get to it this evening - see what I can find.

Regards,

Ant

Andy,

apologies - lots of miss typing and miss reading I am afraid!

I have the diary of the 117th Brigade, RFA not the 77th - sorry to build your helps up!

Have you tried the National Archives - the diary may well have been digitised?

Sorry again,

Regards,

Ant

• 4 years later...

Hi

I found these posts about 117 Brigade RFA while browsing the forums and I wonder whether you might be able to help me? I am looking at Driver, (later Bombardier) 25289 Robert Frederick LANGDON who served with 117 Bge.

His Service Record hasn't survived, but from his medal records he deployed to Egypt on 17/01/15 and in 1918 he was serving with 117 Brigade and was admitted to 19 General Hospital in Alexandria.

There is no indication on his medal records that he ever served with any other units, so would it be possible to tell me where 117 Bge. was when Robert joined them on 17 July 1915, would he have deployed abroad with them or would he have joined as a replacement, and where did the Brigade operate from 1915 onwards?

Best regards

Mike