Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC Officer at Mill Hill in 1916 and Wool in 1920

CoyoteJ

Can anyone assist in telling me in what capacity an RAMC officer would be stationed at Mill Hill in August 1916 (presumably at Inglis Barracks)?

His name appears to be Lt. Alexander Edward Gordon Fraser. He was later stationed at Wool (Bovington) in 1920. I cannot find when he left the RAMC.

This is my first piece of research on a letter I have from 1916 so any help greatly appreciated.

He has an entry in 'Medical Officers in the British Army 1660-1960' (Sir Robert Drew):

Alexander Edward Gordon Fraser: Born 14 September 1881 at Burnham, Somerset. MRCS Eng LRCP Lond 1907. Lt. 4 Feb 08. Capt 4 Aug 11. Brevet Maj 1 Jan 17. Maj 4 Feb 1920.

Half pay (ill health) 16 May 22. Retired Pay (ill health) 16 May 1927. Died 13 Apr 56 at Guildford, Surrey.

Egypt 1908-1913. BEF France and Belgium 1914. PW 1914-1915. Egypt 1919-1920. 1914 Star and Clasp. BWM. VM.

Sorry that it doesn't answer your original question, I think it can be assumed that periods other than overseas service will have been spent in the UK. And the 'PW' entry signifies that he was a prisoner of war.

Sue

Mr Swan and Sue Light,

Thank you very much. This is indeed the Alexander Fraser born in Burnham and died in Guildford. I have as you might recognise no military research expertise but I am used to other types of research in my profession as an archaeologist. Having recently retired I am researching a letter which came into my hands in Guildford in 1981 written by Alexander Fraser to his 'sweetheart'

Dorothy L. J. Chard in 1916 from Mill Hill and dated 15th August. I believe I have found them married in Chichester in 1917 and I have reason to believe they had a child in 1920 but I have drawn a blank at that point. Also, could Dorothy Chard have been a volunteer nurse in 1916 - she was in Stratford upon Avon for some reason?

I am very grateful to have the military picture filled out for Alexander. I will post an update in due course. Thanks again.

Further to the above posts:

I have an 1920s address at St Wilfreds, Richmond Road, Horsham for his wife Dorothy Fraser (nee Chard) but am uncertain whether this was a maternity home or a private house.

I note that there is a Horsham address given in the medal index card - would this be a full address or just Horsham? Thank you all again for your interest and assistance.

Apologies, the address is St Winifreds (the same as the MIC address) not St Wilfreds as I put in an earlier post.

The St Winifreds address comes from a second letter (dated 2nd Nov 1920) from Alexander Fraser sent from Wool (Bovington) Military Hospital to to his (now wife) Dorothy (having married in 1917). The letter makes reference to a newly born baby (apparently a boy) but where the name has not yet been chosen.

The letter is also quite highly critical of the regime at Wool and for reasons I cannot fathom complains of a reluctance on the part of the staff to give Chloroform to patients. It also complains somewhat bitterly of the treatment Alexander is receiving from his 'own Corps' as he is in his own words 'unwell' (I note the references from Sue Light to: Half pay (ill health) 16 May 22. Retired Pay (ill health) 16 May 1927.

If it would be off interest and is the done thing I can transcribe the relevant passages relating to conditions at Wool on this Forum.

Extract from letter dated 2nd November 1920 from Major (see Sue Light post above - Major from 4th Feb 1920) Alexander Edward Gordon Fraser stationed at Wool (Bovington) military hospital to his wife Dorothy in Horsham, Sussex complaining about the hospital and staff. Maj. Fraser was unwell at the time he wrote the letter but it is unclear with what illness or discomfort although he is clearly being cared for in his own establishment.

Dearest,

Only just a line. Which I am writing in bed.

Many thanks for the letter, and am glad the Aunties are coming down to see baby tomorrow. I wrote to Aunt Louie some few days ago so I should say nothing about “Hospital” or my being unwell to either of them if I was you and I should advise Mother to say nothing either. In my letter to Aunt Louie I merely said I felt the cold very much down here, many changes of temperature. Am feeling much better since I have rested up in Hospt. And I think it is perhaps just as well I did come in on Sunday last. The feeding is poor but I get a certain amount of rest and anyway some attention.

While I was in bed yesterday afternoon the CO and one of the temporary importations (RAMC) came in to the ward and as they seemed both unwilling to give Chloroform to some patients – they actually asked whether I would mind getting up and coming over to the Hospital – just to give the anaesthetic. I said “No” I would not get up but if they brought the patients into this ward I would give Chloroform if they were afraid to! We have just as much right to go into Hospital for a few days as has anyone else. But you see how difficult it is made and how little consideration one gets from our own Corps when ill.

It makes me so loathe the whole lot.

Well dear don’t worry about me – I shall be alright now. I’m having a rest for a few days although its not like being laid up in ones own home!

The remainder of the letter contains no further reference to the hospital or RAMC.