Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Displaying helmets

jscott

Hi all

Over the last few years I've picked up a number of WW1 helmets (mostly brodies and adrians) and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the best way to display these? I like the idea of wooden stands, but these appear to be prohibitively expensive!

Many thanks, Jonathan

I made some very simple wooden stands using a broom handle (cut into about 10cm lengths) and two squares of plywood one about 10cmx10cm (for the base) and the other about 6cmx6cm (for inside the helmet) held together with a small screw down through the middle of the top one and up through the base - both into the section of broom handle. Knocked 5 or 6 of them out in about an hour with scrap I had in the garage - nothing fancy and probably wouldn't put them in the front room but they seem to do the job where I have my couple of helmets and on occasion when I have done displays.

Chris

I got a sheet of commercial slat board, ripped it into single rows so I ended up with about 40 linear feet of single slat track, screwed it to the wall studs and then bought commercial hat display hangars, all in so far for about $200.00

P1010449.jpg

Plain Styrofoam heads work well, I would suggest that whatever you choose, keep it simple so as not to detract from the helmet. ScottM's display looks very effective. Also check out the GW forum site "Militaria Displayed", some really wonderful displays there also.

khaki

Hi 4 Gordon's

Are you able to post a picture of your stands?

Jon

Well after the above I am rather ashamed to....but mine were made of scrap and my helmets are not really anything special but I did have this pic which sort of shows them

post-14525-0-79197200-1381456620_thumb.j

Chris

A few years ago, when I was single and had lots of money to spare, I had a local potter (in the town I was living in at the time) create a one-off helmet stand for me, The top flares to about 5 inches in diameter with a series of holes around the edge to ensure that moisture wouldn't get trapped in the stand. When I take my traveling medal display for presentations, I use the stand to hold a regimental brodie.

post-23261-0-17658400-1381466306_thumb.j

At a recent brocante in France there was a seller with a table full of old miliners hat stands 10-20 euros each. Lots of patina too. May be worth keeping an eye out.

John

At the end of the day it boils down to what suits you best but I prefer polystyrene heads to anything else. They have the advantage that they keep cloth headgear in shape.

P.B.

post-63-0-88489700-1381485063_thumb.jpg

You can buy clear, acrylic hat stands from a number of places. They are fairly simple and don't detract too much from the hat/helmet you are displaying.

http://www.dauphin.co.uk/Hat_Helmet_and_Mask_Stands.htm

http://www.morplan.com/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10053&productId=33972&langId=-1&searchTerm=hat

I would recommend making a padded ring or ball out of scrunched up acid-free paper and placing this between the hat/helmet liner and the stand - it pads the edges and lets you make finer adjustments for getting the hat level etc.

Depends on what you want to spend, what look you want etc. I like the examples shown in this thread; some great displays.

Barrie

You can buy clear, acrylic hat stands from a number of places. They are fairly simple and don't detract too much from the hat/helmet you are displaying.

http://www.dauphin.co.uk/Hat_Helmet_and_Mask_Stands.htm

http://www.morplan.com/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10053&productId=33972&langId=-1&searchTerm=hat

I would recommend making a padded ring or ball out of scrunched up acid-free paper and placing this between the hat/helmet liner and the stand - it pads the edges and lets you make finer adjustments for getting the hat level etc.

Depends on what you want to spend, what look you want etc. I like the examples shown in this thread; some great displays.

Barrie

This is a good idea and also helps to stop the liner from dropping down and distorting especially if they are fragile and have seen better days.

Keep in mind the styrene heads off gas formaldehyde and it will react with your liners, and organic helmet bodies etc. Not good stuff for preservation or conservation. There is a reason they are cheap. You can spend a bit more and get glass heads too, I used those on my flight helmets.

Keep in mind the styrene heads off gas formaldehyde and it will react with your liners, and organic helmet bodies etc. Not good stuff for preservation or conservation. There is a reason they are cheap. You can spend a bit more and get glass heads too, I used those on my flight helmets.

I was unaware of this phenomenon. Thanks for mentioning.

Meanwhile, I also use styrofoam heads preferring the more genuine look. They are cheap at about US$4.50 each.

357e738f7714.jpg

Some really helpful suggestions here - thanks! I would love to use the miliners stands but haven't found them (yet) for a reasonable price. We are potentially moving house soon (currently in a 1 bed flat) and Im hoping that with a bit more space I can display some of the helmets in a more aesthetically pleasing way.

Some nice displays on show here as well.

Thanks all

Here's one I bought in France. Probably quite easy to make. John

post-8629-0-52765300-1381568362_thumb.jp

It's personal choice of course, but I would suggest not displaying helmets/hats too high as you will see only the interior when close. About eye level is ideal unless you tilt them forward. Also make sure that the base of your stand is wide enough to provide stability for your chosen helmet, maybe even drilling screw holes in the base to firmly attach it to a shelf etc.

khaki

There's a good article on displaying headgear at http://www.kaisersbunker.com/preservation/index.htm

I certainly agree with it's author that Stryrofoam should not make direct contact with the article and would go as far as saying ideally not be used at all. ScottM's suggestion of using glass or ceramic heads is good advice.

Jonathan

We have used short lengths of wide plastic drain pipe wrapped in a suitable cloth covering. The colour cloth we use is a light green.

Pete Starling

I got a glass display head off the internet to display my war ravaged helmet.

Quite scary.

Maxi

Rjaydee,

More of an obsession.

P.B.

Any Liverpool Scottish gallantry medals going spare? :)

Neil

I have used many things from manufactured stands incorporating styrene which I cover with cotton / muslin cloth before it contacts the lining of the helmet to candlesticks (some brass victorian ones) which suprisingly can be easily aquired quite cheaply to upturned lage beer schooners, also a cheap and effective option if buying value from the Tesco range!!!

I also use basic glasses upturned to ensure the helmet does not touch the shelf as especially with pickles and caps if they rest directly the stress on the stitching causes slow and sure damage and weakens. Also always support the lier with packing / cloth first. If it dangles it too will weaken and deteriorate.

Be imaginative and it wont cost alot.

Regards

TT