Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Smethwick Uplands Cemetery Birmingham

neverforget

Guest silverlady

Hello everyone. A few years ago I was trying to locate a grave at uplands cemetery. A kind gentleman there arranged to meet me at the gate and with a very old map led me to the grave ( UNMARKED) . his name was mr howard. I also saw my great grandfathers name on the war memorial there... they could not have been more helpful.

Guest silverlady

A few years ago I wantef to locate a grave at uplands cemetery. I spoke with a gentleman over the phone called Mr Howard wha arranged to meet me at the gate and with a very old map led me to the grave. I also got to see my great grandfathers name on the war memorial there. He could not have been more helpful.

• 2 months later...
Guest clarkandhyde

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum. I have been researching my family ancestry, and to date have found out some wonderful info I never knew about, and family I knew knew existed ! For instance, I found out my great great grandfather was in the Irish Dragoon Guards ! My search is ongoing, however so far I haven't found anyone that may have served in the Great War..as yet...but hope you don't mind me posting on this site anyway. I read 'Stuggs' you live near Uplands ? I have just an opportunity to have a friend of a family member who lives in the UK ( I reside in South Australia ) go to the cemetery for me, in the hope of finding my maternal great grandparents grave. It was a logistical minefield to get to that point I tell you..couldn't source a map, and had to pay Sandwell Archives to search the burial records for me to find where they were buried. They don't take credit cards so had to find a way of getting cash to them ! Anyway...this person went there and said there is NO headstone ! This was a devastating set back for me in my search for my family. Anyone prepared to go there for me again, just to confirm he was in the right spot ?? It seemed odd to me there would be not even a marker..I realise, as my Gr grandmother died in 1943 and then my Gr grandfather in 1951 that there may have been no money for headstones etc. But I would just love to 'see' where they are anyway. Can anyone help me please ??? Most grateful. Personal email joannestreiff@outlook.com THANK YOU !

• 4 years later...
On 10/02/2014 at 11:40, neverforget said:

Had to downsize it to the minimum, in order to clear the 250KB allowed, but still useable I reckon. It may be possible to up-size it after downloading, I`m not sure about that. My p.c. skills are somewhat limited.post-95959-0-49649000-1392032232_thumb.j

Hi, I know this was posted a while ago but I’ve just found out my great grandfather was buried here in section C! from your picture the sections are numbered and not lettered, do you know if the numbers correspond to the alphabet eg 1-A, 2-B etc.? he has no headstone and we’d like to get one for him, many thanks 

Hello Emzy.

I regret to say that I cannot answer your question, as I can't find any references to the sections that are lettered rather than numbered.

However, if he is a WW1 soldier, then clicking on the link I posted will take you to another thread, on which you can see a map of the cemetery with all the names and their locations.

I hope this is helpful.

Best regards. 

• 1 year later...
On 10/10/2013 at 20:13, neverforget said:

Perhaps this is a bit of a long shot, but could anyone please help me out with a cemetery plan for Uplands cemetery in Smethwick.

I have volunteered to photograph about 100 graves here, and have so far been unable to track down a plan of the cemetery. Not a very good start ! :blush:

Many thanks

Try this https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&id=6EB13FCF70B2A07143ADB011BBA99170BC1380F3&thid=OIP.WqryoVIQPSVgU5jcj4NErQHaD7&mediaurl=https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fgwfattachments%2Fmonthly_02_2014%2Fpost-95959-0-49649000-1392032232_thumb.jpg&exph=339&expw=640&q=smethwick+uplands+cemetery+plot+pictures&selectedindex=0&qpvt=smethwick+uplands+cemetery+plot+pictures&ajaxhist=0&vt=0&eim=0,1,2,3,4,6,8,10&ccid=WqryoVIQ&simid=608010409219917411&sim=11

and 

https://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/43846/Smethwick (Uplands) Cemetery

You should at least get close with these.

All the best

Jon

• 2 years later...