Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

High Wood

jdajd

When looking at maps of High Wood it appears as if it is divided into sections. I am currently reading Have you Forgotten Yet and found what I think is a possible reason in Blacker's description of his work in Clairmarais Forest. He states that the forests were tended by Gardes Forestiers and Gardes Chasse who were in charge of maintenance of the forests. To do so the forest was divided into rectangular areas called coops w/in were trees of different maturity. Logging and burning were done in a cycle that ensured healthy growth of the trees. Does anyone know if the same system was in use in High Wood or was it divided for a different reason? Thanks

Jon

I think French forests commonly were divided by way of rides cut into/through them. These allowed the hunting obsessed French to fully access the forest easily. The English had a greater tendency to leave their woodland au naturel. However, I don't specifically know about High Wood.

If you look at diagrams of High Wood in Tery Norman's book- The Hell they called High Wood, you will see that the wood is divided by what look like rides with one going approx N to S, and 6 from E to W.

Aerial photos of the shattered wood taken in july 1916 also show these divisions.

But so far as I know they are no longer there- at least I have never seen them.

Martin