Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Wilfred Burrell Thomson 2nd Dorsets gazetted MC 18-8-1916

BIFFO

I have a chap Captain Wilfred Burrell Thomson 2ND Dorsets
who won The military cross being gazetted on 18-8-1916 in issue 29712 ??, as I have no idea what im talking about can any one point me in the right direction where I can see why he won the mc, something to do with the Mesopotamian campaign, apparently he was mentioned in despatches 17-01-1916, where would I be able to find this.
For some one who knows what they are doing easy me well eerr.

Biff :thumbsup::poppy:

• Admin

There is no citation for his MC in the LG which includes awards recommended by the India Office (I notice a Brevet Lt Col Radcliffe of the Dorsets was honoured as Deputy Governor of Basra).

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29712/supplements/8224

The Keep (the Dorsets Regimental Museum) may have more information they have an extensive online history of the 2nd Dorsets in Mesop.

http://www.keepmilitarymuseum.org/mesopotamia_2nd_dorsets.php

Ken

Thanks chaps :thumbsup:

a bit disappointed as I thought being gazetted would show wonderful daring heroics boys own comic type antics still I will contact the Devonshire’s museum and see if they can add anything.

Biff

• 2 weeks later...

I think its more than likely that he received his M.C. for the attack on Kut el Amara on 28th September 1915. He was described as showing splendid leadership in the charge on the redoubt. Other than this, the battle of Ctesiphon in November 1915 (where he was wounded) would have been his only other opportunity within the time frame. However, owing to the events that followed the battle, recommendations for awards would have been the last of there worries! It may have even been a combination of both. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Elliot

• spof changed the title to Captain Wilfred Burrell Thomson 2nd Dorsets gazetted MC 18-8-1916