Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

marc coene

Hello,

Manor Farm (most of the time behind the 14-18 front line) was occupied by Britisch troops for about the whole time of WWI.

Understandable that there was a dressing station at Manor Farm (and also at the nearby Railway Farm).

Manor Farm is situated nearby Zillebeke lake and nearby the city of Ypres.

By big coïncidence I found a ampoule of Morphine. Unfortunately it is a bit damaged at the glass. As far as I know morphine has and had to be injected.

See photo, the ampoule is about around good 4 cm long and 0.6 cm in diameter.

Some questions about this object:

• Can somebody say if this is of war time origin? I strongly believe.
  • Was it beginning of the war, middle or end or was this type used over the whole WWI war?
  • Is it clearly a British product (as some months nearby end of war Manor Farm also has been occupied by the German troops)? i think it is, but have no experience at all in this.
  • I think the marked 'Morphine' on the ampoule is clearly the British description of this product. What is extremely strange for me is that it seems that this name is under the glass of the ampoule. So it just seems a print inside the glass and certainly not at the outside of the ampoule. How could they do this? Did they insert something into the ampoule. Now it is too fragile and old to search that out on this ampoule.
  • there is also marked N°90. What could that mean? And there under there is even marked 3/4 in very small letters. What could this have meant?

Thanks if somebody knows the answer on one or some of my questions. I find it in each case unbelievable to find this still nearly 100 years after the war started!

post-46229-0-75505600-1381406399_thumb.j

Kind regards,

Marc

Manor Farm

The Morphine was a powder that had to be diluted, so it would have had a paper insert inside the ampoule - I don't think printing on the outside of glass ampoules was possible at that time. The three-quarters probably referred to the contents, i.e. three-quarters of a grain. I think an average dose was between one quarter and three-quarters, so this could have been divided as necessary.

Sue

The Morphine was a powder that had to be diluted, so it would have had a paper insert inside the ampoule - I don't think printing on the outside of glass ampoules was possible at that time. The three-quarters probably referred to the contents, i.e. three-quarters of a grain. I think an average dose was between one quarter and three-quarters, so this could have been divided as necessary.

Sue

Hi Sue, thanks for your info. Just like the correct info of a doctor. Very clear. Kind regards, Marc

Am I right in thinking that these ampoules were sealed with a rubber bung?

Sue

Hi Sue, in each I could not remark any rubber anymore. Kind regards, Marc

• 2 years later...

Was all morphine in WW1 given by powder or tablets or was there an injectable form in hospitals?

When I scouted around for an answer, it seems that in WWII they had an injectable form, but I can't verify it for WW1.

~Ginger

WW2: "...What Squibb introduced was called a morphine syrette, which was like a miniature toothpaste tube that contained the morphine. Instead of unscrewing a top like you do on a toothpaste tube, it had a blind end that was sealed. A needle attached to the syrette was used by the medic to puncture the seal. The medic would come along, break the seal and inject the wounded soldier with the morphine syrette." http://www.museumofdrugs.com/morphine.html

They did in WW1 as well--an M with a blue crayon, and I believe the dosage administered.

A grain is the very old fashioned unit of weight, and was already quite obsolete in British pharmacology by the 1970s.

However many older doctors at the time would still refer to dosages of Morphine in grains, or fractions thereof.

A grain was approximately of the order of 60mg.

60 mg of Morphine was a big dose, usual dosage in peacetime would be 15mg as an injection.

As a rough rule of thumb:

60mg Morphine orally is equivalent to 30mg given by subcutaneous injection is equivalent to 20mg Diamorphine (heroin) s/c injection.

Diamorphine is far more soluble in water for injection than morphine and is much better if very large doses are needed.

The oral diamorphine substitute Methadone was first synthesized in Nazi Germany, in the 1930s, possibly research was aided by the thought that when war inevitably came, Germany would be deprived of its middle eastern sources of Opium, and consequently set out to create a new series of potent oral analgesics that could be manufactured from scratch.

However, I don't think the drug was actually used in wartime.

Years ago when cleaning out a retired doctors house after he'd passed away I found some glass tubes just like this. They were labeled in a similar way & had 10 very small greyish tablets to a tube with small corks at either end. Quinine tablets were in similar tubes.

k

However, I don't think the drug was actually used in wartime.

I'm fairly sure I've come across references to morphine ampoules in the materia medica - will check during the week.

sJ

Certainly the use of Morphine tablets is described in Patrick McGill's book, the Great Push. He was a stretcher bearer with the 18th Londons.

I'm fairly sure I've come across references to morphine ampoules in the materia medica - will check during the week.

sJ

Sorry, I wasn't explicit enough, I was writing about methadone at that point:

Perhaps it should have read:

"However, I don't think the drug (i.e.Methadone.) was actually used in wartime."

Morphine has a long documented history in battle.

Ah, thanks Dai. I may not have been reading hard enough - the screen on my phone is a bit tiny ...

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know definitively if morphine was injectable during WW1? I sort of thought not, but then heard an excerpt from what I thought was a WW1 letter that mentioned a morphine injection.

~Ginger

"Instead he was treated by injection of morphia"

"Morph. hydrochlor. gr.1/4 with atropine sulph. gr. 1/120 was given hypodermically before all operations. Injections of morphia were used to abate shock, and a solution was kept for use."

Rodd, Fleet Surgeon M.L.B., Report on the transport and treatment of wounded in the Hospital Ship "Plassy." Journal of the Royal Naval Medical Service, vol. 1 (1915), pp. 42-48.

• Admin

I read somewhere that Lady Diana Manners and Katharine Asquith injected themselves with morphine during WW1. I will try to find the source

Edit

the Great Silence 1918-1920 Living In The Shadow Of The Great War by Juliet Nicholson

Pages 134-136 discuss Diana Manners morphine habit and page 135 quotes a letter to Raymond Asquith where she describes how she and Katharine lay "in ecstatic stillness" after she injected them both

Michelle

I read somewhere that Lady Diana Manners and Katharine Asquith injected themselves with morphine during WW1. I will try to find the source

Michelle

I can help.

Alfred Duff Cooper's Diary.

• Admin

Thanks SD, I found the information in another book, I don't have Duff Coopers diaries.

Michelle

Thanks SD, I found the information in another book, I don't have Duff Coopers diaries.

Michelle

He married Diana Manners in 1919, so presumably knew whereof he wrote. The Manners were, and are, the Duke of Rutland's brood.

Yuk!

• 4 weeks later...

I would really like to read the document Journal of the Royal Naval Medical Service, vol. 1 (1915), pp. 42-48. as I am researching the hospital ship Plassy. Any chance if your have a copy I could see it? regards Andrew

Andrew, have replied to your pm. sJ

• 3 months later...

Was all morphine in WW1 given by powder or tablets or was there an injectable form in hospitals?

When I scouted around for an answer, it seems that in WWII they had an injectable form, but I can't verify it for WW1.

~Ginger

I found the answer: Yes, they did have injectable morphine in WW1. This is from The WWI Military Memoirs of Captain Dark, MC. Australian Doctor, Great War

http://www.vlib.us/medical/dark/dark.htm

"...At some time after the original attack I was standing in front of the dressing station, which faced a road on the other side of which some soldiers were walking; a few shells were falling, and one of them got a direct hit on a soldier, cutting off both his legs just above the knees; he fell onto the stumps of his thighs and, incredibly, took two or three stumbling steps before collapsing. In seconds we had tourniquets on his thighs, and in another minute or so a big injection of morphia into him, dressings on his stumps, and he was on his way to the Casualty Clearing Station. He may have lived, for he lost very little blood, and the morphia would minimise shock."