Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private G.W Gotobed - K.S.L.I

Gary Fisher

Hello,

In my research into my cricket clubs fallen in WW1 I have found the following member who was seriously wounded on 16th September 1916. His name was G.W Gotobed and he was in the 'K.S.L.I'. Would this be the Kings Scottish(??) Light Infantary?

His wound necessitated his left leg being amputated so I suspect he did not play again following rehabilitation.

Can anyone confirm his regiment and the action that caused his wound? Does anyone know his forenames?

Before the war (and playing for Timperley) he played for Manchester Clifford who were based at Old Trafford and formed a feeder team into Lancashire CC's playing staff so he must have had a talent for the game.

Many thanks,

Gary

George W enlisted in the King's Shropshire Light Infantry on 10 Dec 1915. He was discharged with a Silver War Badge due to wounds on 3 Aug 1917. A fair chance he was wounded on the Somme but you need to find his Battalion first to do a bit more research. Even then you ay not discover where he was wounded ,

• Admin

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry. If you have access to Ancestry you can search for his medal index card and if his papers still exist

Michelle

24168 Pte. George William Gotobed - doesn't look like any service or pension records have survived though.

BillyH.

Sotonmate / Michelle / BillyH,

Thank you very much for your help.

Would pension & service records have gone up during the WW2 blitz?

Regards,

Gary

If you can't find them then, probably, yes.

You could write to the Shropshire Light Infantry Museum making an enquiry, they were very good to me when I contacted them re my g/father who served with the KSLI during the Boer War and WW1. Ralph.

Hi Gary

I do not yet have his Battalion but can tell you it was one of three Battalion in action on the Somme between 15th and 18th September 1916, they being the 1st, 5th and 6th Battalions.

I have been working on casualty lists in my local paper and I do have an idea to which Battalion he belonged but can not be 100% sure mainly because I do not yet have every mans Battalion (its going to be years before I get around to finishing looking at all the K.S.L.I. medal rolls).

If you can get to Kew or see if some kind soul on the Forum with do a look up for you if you can not get to Kew. Once you know his Battalion I can give you details on where his Battalion was.

I have walked over the ground where all three were in action between the above dates, the 1st and 6th where very close to each an other and the 5th was also not that far from the other two, anyway get back to me if you find out his Battalion.

If you have any details on where he was born and parents I would be greatfull to know, so I can add it to my database which I am building in memory of the K.S.L.I. lads.

Annette

Annette,

It is unlikely I will make it to Kew so will need to chill out on getting more from that source. The only information I have on George is his home address of 16, Gladstone Road, Altrincham & that his dad (Mr. G.C Gotobed)lived in Chorlton cum Hardy.

Rjaydee,

I will look up the museum. Thanks for the tip.

Best regards,

Gary

George Wm was born 1879 registered Darlington son of George Cropley Gotobed and Helen father was a widower in 1911 living in Stanley St Moss Side Manchester. Ralph.

The National Archives ledger WO329/1476 page 2386 has the original Medal Roll which will show your subject's Battalion on first landing in a war zone.I will look for you next week.

Thanks Gary & Ralph for info. on where George came from.

Sotonmate your a star.

Annette

5 Battalion is shown on the Medal Roll. Went to an Infantry Base Depot in France before allocated to this Battalion.

You want the pic of the page then send me a PM here.