Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

whereabouts unit

koyli

Hi,

Could anyone tell me of the whereabouts of the 6th Dragoon Guards in August 1916.

One of the Casualties in Kemmel Chateau Mil Cem(Belgium) is :

Pte DUNMALL Augustus James of that unit. KIA.

I was not aware of any Cavalry units in Belgium at that time.

Intersting you mention that one. I have a photograph of

"AL Fuller 6 DG 22.6.16"

a distinctly unmounted officer standing in a trench.

I had wondered who he was & what he was doing !!

J

I can't help you with your request for the whereabouts of 6 Dragoon Guards in August 1916.

However it may help if you can find out the location of 2nd Cavalry Division, as 6DG were part of 4th Cavalry Brigade in this division.

To the best of my knowledge they did not take part in the Somme battles, so they may have been in Belgium holding the line to release Infantry Divisions for the Somme. I believe that they spent a lot of the war dismounted and acting as Infantry.

Hope this helps.

In September, the 2nd Cavalry Division assembled 'north of Bray' in anticipation of the Battle of Flers.

The only other mention I can find in the British Official History is in June of 1916. At this time (7th June), [General Byng] sent up the 2nd Dismounted Cavalry Brigade, organized in three battalions from men of the 2nd Cavalry Division, as a reserve to the Canadian Corps [who were operating in the region of Mt Sorrell, near Zillebeke). The brigade remained with the Canadians, giving help in improving defences and garrisoning GHQ 2nd Line, until the 21st June, when the situation permitted of its withdrawal.'

So elements of 2nd Cavalry Division had been in the general area.

Robert

Sorry for the delay in answering.

Thanks for the information Robert and Julian B. You have put me on the right track. It's a pity that some units never had a Regimental 14-18 history written. 6DG's is one of them. I'll have to make it to Kew one of these days.

SMG65

Thanks for the input but can't help you with your fellow. Is there any text at back of the Photo ?

koyli.

• 7 months later...

Hi,

The 6DG war diaries indicate that they were forming working parties engaged in railway laying S. of Neuve Eglise to Poegsteert Wood and Hill 63.

I have an interest too as my maternal grandfather was in the 6DGs from 1908 until end 1917.

Regards,

Q

As regards AL Fuller on 22/6/16.

My notes show the regiment split in May/June 1916:

22/6 some at Neuf Berquin/Rue Pruvost; some at Reninghelst 12/6 (dismounted company).

Q

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Q,

Sorry for the delay in repleing.

Thank you very much for the information. It helps to bring down those question marks.

Cheers

KOYLI

• 8 months later...
Hi,

The 6DG war diaries indicate that they were forming working parties engaged in railway laying S. of Neuve Eglise to Poegsteert Wood and Hill 63.

I have an interest too as my maternal grandfather was in the 6DGs from 1908 until end 1917.

Regards,

Q