Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help on identifying sleeve insignia and cap badge

chani_f

Hi,

This is my first post - thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm trying to confirm which unit my ancestor served in during WW1 and hoping the answer is his photo (attached) through identifying what the sleeve insignia and cap badge mean.

Can anyone tell me what the sleeve badges mean? The crossed swords(?), the two chevrons and the star?

Can anyone also identify his unit from the cap badge? I've taken a look at the WW1 medal roll index and there's an Alfred T Oliver who I think might be my guy with the 17th London Regiment (Poplar and Stepney Rifles) - to my (very) uneducated eye, it looks about right?

Details I know that may/may not help:

Name: Alfred Thomas Oliver - I'm told his rank was Sergeant but I can't confirm this as his WW1 record was one of the ones destroyed by WW2 bombing

Previous military service: Served 1908-1912 in 6th London Brigade (Territorial Force) - joined aged 15 years 5 months

Other details: My great-uncle told me he was awarded the Military Medal for Outstanding Leadership in the face of the enemy but I don't have any other information/evidence about that.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Chani Fletcher

post-102234-0-31889100-1381312890_thumb.

Will go along with the 17th County of London Battalion a maltese cross within a wreath. Ralph.

Two stripes = Corporal.

Had a look in the London Gazette for an OlIver MM but no luck, doesn't mean he is not there though, the LG is not an easy site to negotiate. Ralph.

Checked my copy of Military Badges by Reginald Cox and the crossed swords would appear to denote a physical training instructor. Ralph.

The medal index card for Alfred T Oliver has the rank of Sgt, entitled to the British War and Victory medals, no mention of the MM on the card though, no date on the card which means he went abroad after January 1st 1916.

Thank you Ralph - this is very interesting. Particularly about being a physical training instructor! Would that be related to his previous military service? Or related to his war service but prior to embarkation?

Also helpful to know that he didn't enter theatre prior to 1916 and that 17th London Regiment looks correct.

If anyone knows whether the star badge means anything, I'd be grateful to hear.

Corporal, Assistant Physical Training Instructor, 5 pointed Star for 5 years efficient service.

His Military Medal was announced in a list in the London Gazette on 9-12-1916, so likely to have been awarded for a deed in September 1916 or thereabouts.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29854/supplements/12050

Steve.

His Military Medal was announced in a list in the London Gazette on 9-12-1916, so likely to have been awarded for a deed in September 1916 or thereabouts.

Steve.

High Wood? (15th September).

It seems likely to me as well, Steven

Steve.

Nice one Squirrel something learned today.. Steve. If anyone was going to find him in the LG my money was on you, as a matter of interest what did you put in the search box for him ? Ralph.

T. Oliver

and then browsed the 3 pages of results. The first name / initial often gets mixed in with the previous word on the OCR on the Gazette.

Steve.