Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant Barker (London Rifle Brigade)

jamescorsan

I have come across a mention of a 'Lieutenant Barker of the London Rifle Brigade', who happened to represent the 4th Division in a rugby match held at Nieppe on 14th April 1915.

In an online version of 'A SHORT HISTORY OF THE LONDON RIFLE BRIGADE' there is a photograph of 'Sec-Lieut. Barker and M.G. Team' and a listing of '2nd Lieut H.C. Barker - arrived 29.4.1915 departed 22.1.1916', but I cannot trace an 'H.C. Barker' in either WO 339 or WO 374 at PRO Kew.

Another issue is that, if he 'arrived' on 29th April 1915, that would have been fifteen days after the above-mentioned rugby game. The only explanation I can think of - if H.C. Barker was indeed the player - is that perhaps he was commissioned on 29th April 1915 (and therefore later remembered as a Lieutenant by someone who was there), but at the time of the game was an NCO or lesser rank.

Any further information on H.C. Barker that would help confirm (or not) whether he was the Lieutenant Barker who played in this game would be gratefully received.

if he served after ww1 his papers wont be there (I assume that's what 339 / 374 are from memory?)

Hi James,

I cannot find any officer in the April, 1915, Army List by the name of Barker, who is serving with the 5th Londons. There is however an officer by the name of Baker, infact George Edmund Clode Baker who was commissioned from the Inns of Court OTC into the 3/5th Londons on 7/2/15. It seems however from his MIC that he did not go overseas until 24/12/15--so may not be your man?

Interestingly he was killed in action 1/7/16, as Lieut 1/5th Londons. He is shown variously as Baker and Clode-Baker.

Hope this helps?

Robert

Apologies!

Now I have read Harry's post and checked the L.G.entry it seems that H.C.Barker was commissioned 29/4/15 into the 1/5th Londons. This may have occured 'in the field' because checking his MIC he was already serving with the 1/5th Bn as 8965 Pte H.C.Barker and had been in France since 5/11/14. Thus although his promotion had not been gazetted he was probably already acting as a T/2/Lt on probation whilst serving at the front, and this would explain how he is referred to as you have already stated.

He is shown as also serving with the MGC and hence the reference to him having 'left' on 22/1/16, presumably to serve with them. He reached the rank of Lieutenant according to his MIC and appears to have survived the war.

Hopefully this is of more use than my previous attempt!!

Robert

The History of the London Rifle Brigade 1859 -1919 has the following biographical entry, which indicates that the commissioned in the field theory is correct:

BARKER, HUGH CECIL. Ed. City of Oxford High School. Joined LRB 29/4/09, "G" Co., and served continuously, going to France with the 1st Batt. Nov. 1914. Commissioned at Ypres, 29/4/15. Took over command of MG sect. 12/5/15. Seconded to MGC 16/10/16. Lieut. 3/12/16. Served with 186 Co. MGC from 22/7/17-29/5/19 in Mesopotamia and N Persia. Shooting. "St George's" Prize list, 1914.

Also on pages 117-119 relating to October 1915 he is listed under officers serving with the Bn on the 26th October, 1915 - as above - as being a 2nd Lt with "G" Co. and, for January 1916:

During the month Capt. Robinson and 2nd Lieuts. Barker and Hogg returned to England, and the following officers came out...

NigelS

Re the St George's shooting competition given in the biographical details above, The Times reporting of July 1914 for the St George's Vase (SR) competition at Bisley - Open only to Territorials and retired Territorials. Ten Shots at 600 yards. - doesn't mention Barker in the results, so it seems probable that he was one of the unnamed shooters who were in the '50 Winners of £3 each' category

Edited by NigelS

Just to register my appreciation and gratitude to all those who have responded to my request for help. I am already a wiser man and shall continue plugging away.

My entry for Barker in the nominal roll of the 1st Battalion LRB who crossed to France on 4.11.17.

Barker Hugh Cecil

8965 Rfn. 4.11.14 - 28.04.15 Commissioned 5 London R. 28.4.15 field; CO MG section 12.5.15; seconded MG Coy 22.1.16; Lieut 3.12.16; with186 Coy MGC 22.7.17 – 29.5.19 in Mesopotamia and N. Persia; (b.1891Bradfield Berkshire; ed: City of Oxford High School; occ. insurance clerk; enlisted 9.9.09; ‘G’ Coy.; lived Wandsworth Common; died 1959 Lewisham);

He is in a photograph with what remained of the MG company after 2nd Ypres - Short History of the LRB 1916

Chris

4.11.14 of course; also have a group photo of LRB officers in October 15 with Barker in it; was not able to post here but pm me with email address if you want to see it

Chris