Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Engineering ranks

paul leeson

Hi, could any one help me with a list of Engineering Ranks for Officers in the Royal Navy during the Great War. I a struggling mainly with the lower commissioned ranks ie the structure below Commander on the larger war ships. Thank you in advance.

Paul

Officer wise:

Engineer Vice-Admiral

Engineer Rear-Admiral

Engineer Captain

Engineer Commander

Engineer Lieutenant-Commander, Lieutenant-Commander (E)

Engineer Lieutenant, Lieutenant (E)

Engineer Sub-Lieutenant

Mate (E)

Chief Artificer Engineer, Commissioned Mechanician (Commissioned Warrant Officers)
Artificer Engineer, Warrant Mechanician (Warrant Officers)

Simon

Thank you Simon. Interesting that a few ranks are missing. I take it Mate does not equate to Midshipman !! and no Commodore ? But you could climb as high as Vice-Admiral.

Thanks again.

Paul

Mate (E) was a rank introduced in 1914 as a vehicle for promotion from the lower deck to commissioned rank. The number of promotions was to be 50, spread over five years from 1914, selected from Artificer Engineers, Chief Engineer Room Artificers, and Engine Room Artificers under the age of 32 (planned to be lowered to 30 in 1917). It ranked with Sub-Lieutenant. However those promoted to Mate could only be promoted to Engineer Lieutenant and were therefore confined to the Engineer Branch.

Simon

In WW1 "Commodore" was an appointmen, Commodore 2nd Class being the appoinment of the senior Captain in a Squadron and would be relinquished if a Captain or Ship with a senior Ccaptain joined the Squadron.

Comodore First Class was also an appointment but was to the squadron or command and was not appointed as a captain of one of tyhe ships.

Therfore the would probably beno posts requiring an Engineer Commodoreassuch..