Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Sherlock Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers from Belfast.

Sepoy

I have been researching 7319 Private George Sherlock, 2nd Battalion, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers who died of wounds on 21st September, 1914.

According to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, he is the only British Military burial in the in the St.Brieuc (St.Mihel) Cemetery, Cote du Nord, Breton, France. His grave is situated next to a memorial to the 71st Infantry Regiment.

I have often wondered how a wounded soldier ended up in this part of France and if men were sent to hospitals there, why was his the only death.

"Soldiers died in the Great War" show that he was born in the Shankhill and enlisted in Belfast. Unfortunately, the CWGC records do not show any Family details or his age. The 1911 Irish Census and Ulster Covenant records show a George Sherlock living in Howard Street South, Belfast but it is not clear if this is the same man.

I have searched the Irish and British Military Wills; the British Newspaper Archive and also the Belfast Book of Honour at http://www.journeyofremembering.org/index.htm

but can find no trace of him.

I would be grateful if any forum members could add anything else about George.

Many thanks

Sepoy

Do you have his MIC? He was awarded the 1914 Star with clasp for service from 23.08.14.

7498 enlisted in October 1901 and 7648 in April 1903. Do you know if he was a regular before the war? Does Ireland's census for 1911 detail those on military service?

33 men of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers died during September 1914. I haven't looked at them all individually but they all appear to be 2nd Battalion.

The majority are recorded on the La Ferte Sous Jouarre Memorial but others are buried randomly, including 2 in Londonderry and 1 in Bedford.

CWGC - R.I.F Sept'14 http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead.aspx?cpage=1

Sandie

Thank you for your response.

I should have said that I have his Medal Issue Card and checked to see whether his Service papers had survived, which they have not. I have also checked the QSA and KSA medal rolls but again no trace....

To die in Brittanny, seems far from the usual base hospital etc.

Sepoy

Sandie

Following your lead, I have just had a quick look at the Service Papers on Findmypast and discovered the following Inniskillings and their attestation dates

7314 Pte G Robinson attested 18 Aug 1902
7321 Pte J Allen attested 21 Aug 1902
7328 Pte J Anderson attested 4 Sept 1902
7491 Pte J Glackin attested 7 Jan 1903

I think I can safely pin down George's attestation from this.

Sepoy

FindMyPast has a Militia record of a George Sherlock who was briefly in R Irish Rifles militia, then transferred to Regular Army, R Irish Rifles on 18 Aug 1902.

Born Shankill, Belfast circa Nov 1883, living at 7 Little Charlotte St, Belfast in 1902 (18 years 2 months on attestation to Militia in Jan 1902)

---

You also could PM Forum Member FitzroyPC who has masses of Belfast Telegraph cuttings indexed, this death would have been reported there

Sepoy

Sherlock-Died Sept 23 1914 at Victor Hospital, North of France (from wounds received in action). Private George Sherlock only son of George and Eleanor Sherlock, and was interred in Cemetery France.

46 Howard St South

Walter

Corisande and Walter thank you so much for your help and guidance.

Walter where did your information come from?

The Howard Street address confirms that I was on the right tracks with the 1911 Irish Census and the Ulster Covenant. The later was obviously signed by Father and Son (Both George Sherlock) with one of these signatures matching the signature shown on the Royal Irish Rifles Militia Service Papers.

Once again many thanks

Sepoy

Sepoy, Belfast Telegraph, if you send an email to my website below and i will send the ourheroesinmemoriam notice.

Tried to search for a Victor Hospital but no luck. see family has death 23rd, C.W.G.C 21st does it give any date of death in the service papers?

Walter

Walter - email sent

Both "Soldiers died in the Great War" and Commonwealth War Graves Commission record his date of death as the 21st September, 1914. Unfortunately, no regular service papers have survived for him.

Many thanks

Sepoy