Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Bn. Suffolk Regiment

Hookleg

Good evening.

I'm trying to find out about the 25 soldiers of the Suffolk regiment buried at Carnoy. Does anyone know if there is a definitive list?

Particularly interested in Lance Corporal Percy Charles Bennett who, soon after enlisting in The Grenadier Guards, seems to have transferred to the 2nd Battalion Suffolk regiment. I have found his records for the Guards, but others seem to be among those that were lost.

Can anyone give precise details of any engagements that he may have been involved in on July 12th 1916 (the date of his death).

I had wondered if he had been engaged in the assault on Trones Wood, but this seems to be too far away and there were other cemeteries closer. Is it likely that it would have been from an enemy shell burst. A large number of graves at Carnoy appear to be those of artillery soldiers. Thanks in anticipation.

Hookleg

The war diary states that they were still at Carnoy on the 12th and that the battalion suffered 7 wounded.

Not much more info but unlikely to have been involved in the attack on Trones Wood.

I presume the remainder of the men you are looking into were from other battalions of the regiment as only four blokes of 2nd battalion are in the cemetery.

Kind regards

Colin

Thanks Colin, a neighbour had suggested Trones Wood but I was sceptical. The reason for asking about the other men from Suffolk Regt was that their war records for around that dat may have survived and I could back track to find out about Bennett. Thanks for your help, it backs up my gut instinct.

• 5 years later...

I have been revisiting some of my older topics as I review info collected about men from Norton, Suffolk. I am still trying to find out about the 2nd Bn Suffolk Regt in early July 1916. I have bought a 'History of the Suffolk Regiment 1914-1927'

I and have looked at the paragraph on 2nd Bn (Pg 182) which states Jul 8 Bn bivouacked in Carnoy_ Lt W G Chandler was wounded almost immediately. The following night, 2 patrols went out and reconnoitred the enemy's wire under the direction of Major Congreve Sgt. F Lynn DCM who was with Lieut. Gardham's patrol, being killed. On the 10th Lieut. E A Pickard-Cambridge was wounded.

It then jumps to Jul 14th and the commencement of the battle of Bazentin Ridge and Caterpillar Wood. !8th Germans counter attacked into Delville Wood. 

I can find no account for 12th July.

However I revisited the list of War dead at Carnoy and looked at the 2nd Bn Suffolk Regt. I noticed that Percy Bennett is in grave N24 and in N23 is another 2nd Bn Suffolks soldier, namely Harry Balls. I have also researched Harry and posted about him on the forum. He  lived about a mile away from Percy's  home in Pakenham, the adjacent village. Percy's family ran a local Public House in Norton. I am convinced that they would have known each other before the war.  They were killed on the same day, 12 Aug 1916, so it may be that they were together when killed. 

If anyone is able to suggest maps or info on the build up to the action on 14th July, I would be most grateful

There was an Advanced Dressing Station at Carnoy at this time, called the Minden Post.

Hi,

22 hours ago, Hookleg said:

I can find no account for 12th July.

22 hours ago, Hookleg said:

If anyone is able to suggest maps or info on the build up to the action on 14th July

There is a pretty basic "Report on work done by 2/Suffolk Regt.  July 8th - July 25th" in the Battalion war diary (Ancestry link)….

July 12

Battn moved to MINE SUPPORT and BRESLAU Trenches from CARNOY less 2 Coys at CARNOY.

Employed on carrying parties and filling in MINE ALLEY & improving MONTAUBAN - CARNOY Road for Traffic - Dug C.T. to CATERPILLAR VALLEY.

'2' Coy relieved in line by [left blank]

July 13th

Remainder of Battn to BRESLAU Trenches

Working party cleared MONTAUBAN - BAZENTIN LE GRAND road. Dug C.T. to CATERPILLAR VALLEY

July 14th

Battn moved to Southern end of CATERPILLAR WOOD

15th - 17th

[left blank]

There is a map of the area in the 3 Division HQ (General Staff) diary (Ancestry link)

867692482_3Division.thumb.jpg.1bef3544c4db72c33722014efe0bbdfb.jpg503206544_3Division.jpg.08a8c1c961e28fac42f7efd4af365d04.jpg

Images sourced from Ancestry.co.uk - WW1 war diaries collection

Regards

Chris