Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Weather in Ypres & the Somme

Morval Ross

Hi All,

I am heading off on the Annual trip on Saturday Morning, was hoping that some pals could let me know what type of weather to expect. I am in Ypres from the 25th to 29th at the Shellhole and then down to the Somme until the 3rd.

Also has there been any major developments on the Somme in the last 12 months, except for the Theipval center of course, Have not done much planning this year as have been abroad working for most of it.

Looking forward to any weather updates,

Thanks pals

Ross.

Ross

I can't answer for the weather on the Somme at the time you are going but as to developments, apart from the Thiepval thing, nothing much seems to have moved except for the tank trap-like obstacles at Lochnagar.

To me the Somme has seemed much like it always is.

Ah- a thought. Are they demolishing the refreshment/touristy hut outside Newfoundland? There were ladders etc there a week or so ago and it does look very sorry for itself.

Have a good trip.

Martin

Hi Ross,

The Salient will be a rainy place. The forecasts don't look good: rain; clouds, rain...

Hi Ross,

The Salient will be a rainy place. The forecasts don't look good: rain; clouds, rain...

But don't be downhearted Ross!

It forecast this for last week too. Apart from Monday to mid-afternoon Tuesday (when it really pelted it down - glad I only had a t-shirt on halfway down the track to Talana Farm when I got caught in it!), the rest of the week was pretty good and quite warm. Looks like the Belgian forecasts are as accurate as the British ones !!!! :D

Dave.

that is treu dave... but i doesn't look good now, so..

• Admin

Him indoors and 3 mates headed off last night and as I write are on the Somme. They are off to Loos tonight. Wayne packed for all eventualities, wellies, raincoat, plus t shirts, sunhat etc.

I agree about the quality of weather forcasting! :blink:

Many thanks Pals,

Am heading out the door of the office this minute, will pack for all eventualities. This time tomorrow will be on the Salient, and then some nice beers in the Shellhole, cant wait.

hope to meet some pals there.

Regards

Ross.

why does it always rains when i visit the wipers salient? Not that iám complaining but when i am there it always pours. Can it be the weather pattern for the 1ww are reliving after 90 years? then watch out for the coming winters.

coo-ee

patrick