Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harry Johnson Royal Engineers

Francisco

Hi, could anyone give me any information on Harry Johnson.

Born: 4/1/1899 in Ecclesfield.

Died: 26[?]/5/1981 in Sheffield.

I know that Harry joined The Royal Engineers ['The Gas Mob'] He was a Metallurgical Chemist working at Hadfields Steel Works in Sheffield. He was also a part-time footballer with Sheffield United FC

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks

Hey up Craig, Im sorry I dont know his service number. I dont know anything else other than what I have written

Thanks

His Fathers name [if it helps] was William Harrison Johnson. Born: 4/1/1876 - Ecclesfield. Died: 17/7/1940 - Ecclesfield. He also played for Sheffield United

Without having seen any records - if he was born 1899 and joined up during the war then he seems very young to have already been an Chemist with enough experience to interest the R.E. - is there confusion along the way with his father ?

Craig

No it was definitely Young Harry who served with the Royal Engineers. He played for United during the war years but missed the 1918/19 season as he was serving in France, apparently. He also played some Inter Division football games

His Father received a 'terrible' knee injury in 1906 which ended his football career, he became a football coach at Bramall Lane

missed the 1918/19 season as he was serving in France

It might then also be the case that he did not make overseas service until after the armistice in which case he wouldn't have a medal card available.

Craig