Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Flight Sergeant William Burns

colin12

Colin

I'm guessing about your enquiry, I but can provide the following information on Flight Sergeant Wiliam Henry Burns, Regimental Number 100 in the pre-War RFC. He was known as 'Tiny' due to his large size and he went to France on 13 August 1914. On 12 March 1915 he was distinguished for his rescue efforts when an accident occurred at Merville aerodrome while Melinite bombs were being loaded onto Lt R Cholmondley's Morane.

Flight Sergeant Burns died on 6 October 1915 from shrapnel wounds received on the second day of the Battle of Loos [26 September 1915] when he was with Major Furse RFC and tasked with signalling with an Aldis lamp to show the progress of ground forces to observers in RFC aeroplanes.

He is buried in Etaples Military Cemetery (III. C. 8A).

I hope that this helps.

Gareth

Gareth,

I am amazed, so quick thanks you, do you know if he was recognised for his efforts during the bomb incident? Was he airborne with the Major while signalling?

Again Thank you

Colin

Colin

I don't know of any formal recognition for the Morane incident. It's mentioned in 'The War in the Air' Volume II and an extract is below (with the next page to follow).

F/Sgt Burns was on the ground with the advancing troops when he was wounded.

Cheers

Gareth

post-25-1095971595.jpg

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for the extract, how do you know about F/Sgt Burns? We have always been led to believe that he remustered to the RFC from the 3rd Bn Grenadier Guards, where can I find out about it, I do know he was at Larkhill with 3 Sqn and got married and had 1 child there.

Cheers

Colin

Colin

I started off by looking him up in two books:

'Airmen Died in the Great War' by Chris Hobson - ISBN 0 871505 81 X; and (having noticed from his Regimental number that he was a Pre-War RFC man)

'A Contemptible Little Flying Corps' by McInnes and Webb - ISBN 0 948130 98 9.

From his serial number (100) Burns must have joined/transferred to the RFC on 27 June 1912, as Nos 99 and 101 were transferred to the Corps that day, and both from the Grenadier Guards.

He was married to Elizabeth Burns of 225 Grosvenor Buildings, Manisty Street, Poplar, London.

I hope this helps you.

Gareth

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for the gen, I have been to my local library and ordered both of those books.

Just knowing where to begin makes life a lot easier and of course people like yourself with the knowledge.

Thanks

Colin