Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Faffemont Isolated Grave Combles

burlington

I will be at this location in a couple of weeks and wonder about the story behind these three isolated graves and why they were not brought 'in from the cold'.

Anyone know?

Martin

I will be at this location in a couple of weeks and wonder about the story behind these three isolated graves and why they were not brought 'in from the cold'.

Anyone know?

Martin

Hi Martin,

I've just checked in the Middlebrooks' "The Somme Battlefields"(Penguin 1994) and apparently the three men were buried in a shell hole after falling in a minor attack by the 1/2nd Londons on 10th September. The family of one of the men, Capt. Dick Heumann bought the piece of land and together with the relatives of CSM B Mills and Sgt. A W Torrance who lie with him requested that the grave should not be disturbed. They placed a stone over the graves which remains although the CWGC placed a border around it and maintain the memorial. Hope you have a great trip; if possible could you post a photograph of how the site looks?

Pete.

Cullbaggie, I think it is. I've just checked on Google Maps and the grave appears to be just visible at the highest resolution. It's just to the east of the square wood where the original farm was. I close by a month ago visiting Guillemont Road and the site of the Quadrilateral at Ginchy but yet again I didn't have the time to explore the area.

I tried in June this year to visit the location, I was unable to find it or see it due to the high crops.

Mick

Here is a Google Earth image showing the isolated grave location

Sepoy

Sepoy, nice one. I'm going to have to teach myself how to do that..........

It is also worth remembering that there isn't anywhere to park near the farm and the track is a bit much for non 4 wheel drive vehicles.

Mick

Although I have been aware of this grave/s for years, I have never visited it. Is there a path leading to it or does one just walk up the edge of the field?

Sepoy

There is no path, I intended to walk between to points and hopefully find it, I hadn't planned for the high crops though.

Mick

There is no path, I intended to walk between to points and hopefully find it, I hadn't planned for the high crops though.

Mick

Hi Mick

is the farmer a bit feisty or does he not mind people walking on his field to see/Photo the grave?

Well I never actually got to find out if he minded me trampling a path across his field or how happy he was for my car to block his track, so I don't know !

:w00t:

Mick

Gentlemen, the boy Middlebrook in the aforementioned guidbook says that the three soldiers are in an official war grave and visitors have a right of access. However he suggests letting the farmer know and helpfully includes the requisite phrase: "pour visiter la tombe des soldats Britanniques dans le champ" just to head off the possibilty of feistiness. That said if the farmer is growing that 3m high corn you aren't going to find the site in a hurry.

I will be there is 12 days time.Hopefully all the crops will have been harvested by then.

I will be there is 12 days time.Hopefully all the crops will have been harvested by then.

I look forward to hearing about your experiences of visiting this grave and please post some photographs!

Sepoy

I look forward to hearing about your experiences of visiting this grave and please post some photographs!

Sepoy

OK will do, if I get there!!

• 5 years later...

I've just been out to Guillemont area and missed seeing this as was unsure of access rights etc.

The harvest is in,  so the fields are all empty and ploiughed now making access easier.

I'm going back in December so will try and make a visit to this then.