Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

W Cawtheray medal numbering and Battalion query

wulsten

Researching a 16 year old who killed Oct 1915, his medals are impressed 3-21407 this is also recorded on the medal roll, however his mic records only 21407, the CWGC also record him with the 1st/4th KOYLI however the medal roll records 1st Yorkshire light infantry can anyone shed any light on the anomalies or am i just looking to hard ??? and why is the three recorded is this his first battalion posting ???

any thoughts appreciated, Geoff

post-9296-0-25588600-1380903374_thumb.jp

odd I thought that the number on the MiC was the one put onto the medals so a little surprised to see the 3 prefix. Prehaps there is another MIc (which I cant see). Also of course his name is spelt differently on the MIC and CWGC which always leads to confusion. As for the battalion he died with, there did seem to be a lot of movement of soldiers which did not always lead to renumbering, that is they were attached to XYZ or they were killed before the paperwork went through.

Census shows him likely to be Cawtheray. Also varaitions of the name includes Cawthry and Cawthery all/most from up North

Welshdoc, yes forgot to mention the name spelling which is different, the war diary entry seems to confirm his death with the 1st/4th KOYLI as it states that one O/R dangerously wounded since died, I also believed that the number on the MIC would be the number on the medals ?

He is also recorded on the Menin Gate even though died from wounds, (i know this is not unusual) but again part of the story.

Placed another topic on the forum trying also to find the location of High Fort Redoubt la belle alliance sector D21 ? near where he was wounded.

Geoff

• 5 weeks later...

Looking at the print of the roll again, it is a 3 prefix, however looking at the roll the other service numbers on the page even though nearly all are consecutive Cawtheray is the only number to have the 3 prefix ???, this is the same on his medal, however no prefix on the mic