Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Marines Light Infantry uniform 1914

Guest mike mccabe

Guest mike mccabe

I am looking for information on the uniform worn by the Royal Marines Light Infantry in 1914, particularly at the time of the Ostend operations. This would be with the intention of producing some figure models so I am interested especially in the equipment worn at the time as well as the exact uniform.

Any suggestions for references to chase up would also be very much appreciated

Mike

You would not want to meet that bunch on a dark night :hypocrite:

Intersestingly the SergeantMajor is carrying both Rifle and presumably a revolver in the holster.

Are the rifles Lomg Lee Enfields?

Obviously still wearimg the Blue Tunics and Trousers. I beleive this uniform was retained for Shipboard Marines with those in the Battalions as part of the RN Division eventualy being rekitted in Khaki as perthe Army.

This is not quite what you want but it was taken ( cannot confirm it ) in early 1914. You may be able to use

certain bits. I am very interested in your post for two reasons. Firstly because of RMLI connection, my GGF

is in the pic I have posted, front row second from left: secondly as a keen modeler myself I would like to

see the finished result.

post-5914-0-98188200-1380878614_thumb.jp

Guest mike mccabe

Thanks for your replies so far, the photos raise a few interesting questions as they always seem to. In the first photo from Horatio2 the NCO at the lead wears a peaked cap but all others the peakless Broderick cap. The man second from the left has a bandolier ammunition belt as well as the usual infantry style webbing. In some drawings I have seen of this uniform the cap has a red diamond shaped backing to the badge which doesn't seem to be present in this photo.

In Simon2's photo the caps have a white top so another difference!

Many thanks for the help so far and the great photographs

Mike

White tops for summer? Used to be the case with RN I believe.