Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

19th KLR

derekb

Good Afternoon,

Is there anywhere that I can download the War Diary for the 19th Battalion The King's (Liverpool Regiment), I am specifically looking for information regarding Corporal Ian Maclaren Campbel MM and specifically January to March 1918.

Thanks and regards,

Derek.

If noone comes up with the diary you could try "Liverpool Pals" by the late Graham Maddocks, who clearly used the battalion diaries as well as much other material. There is a copy in the local history shelf at Garston Library.

Did Campbell survive the war?

D

When I was researching several KLR battalions, a few years back, I used the war diary copies held at the archives at the Maritime Museum. Much nearer than schlepping to Kew. You need to make an appointment to view.

Daggers, John and Simon,

Thank you for your replies, I was fortunate to obtain some items relating to Ian Maclaren Campbell some years ago after his daughters estate was sold at auction, there being no descendants.

It was quite a poignant story she had a photograph of IMC on her bedside table when the auctioneer was called in to arrange the sale of her estate.

I have researched him the best I can and would like to try and find out more about his MM which was gazetted in April 1918, after he was killed I believe on or around 22 March 1918.

When I go to France usually to visit my Grandfathers grave I always make a point of visiting Savy British Cemetery where against the wall there are some Commonwealth headstones commemorating those whose graves were lost.

It's strange but sometimes you can relate to someone you never knew or wasn't related.

Again thanks and regards,

Derek.

Derek

I'm sure you already know this but, just in case.....

The original burial at Roupy indicates he was buried by the Germans after they had advanced over the area. The graves (including a number of "my" 17th Manchesters) were destoryed by later shelling.

John

• 3 months later...