Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dozinghem Cemetery

Myrtle

I am passing through Ypres on Friday and am hoping, depending on weather and time, to visit Dozinghem Cemetery to take some photographs. If anyone has a digital photo request, post on Forum with grave location before Friday morning.

Myrtle

Myrtle,

If you have time, could you take a look at the grave of Gunner T B Harding of the RGA in IX. I. 23. please. A photo would be great, as one of his relations thinks that it may bear the wrong date.

Thankyou

Kate

Myrtle,

I visited Dozinghem a couple of years ago and there was a notice in the Visitors Book/ Register box from a local man who was trying to research all the soldiers buried there. I have mentioned this before on the forum but have heard nothing about it since.

Kate

If I visit Dozinghem I will take the photo.

Mark

I remember your post on the Dozinghem researcher. I will have a look to see if the notice is still there.

Myrtle,

This is a very kind offer. Two of the Old Boys on the War Memorial at Thetford Grammar School are in this cemetery. It would help our research if you could photograph their graves.

They are:

2nd Lt. Cecil C Cole, 149th Bty., Royal Garrison Artillery, died 13/10/17.

GRAVE REF.: X. F. 10.

6935 Gunner Sydney Sudbury, Royal Marine Artillery – R.M.A. Howitzer Bde., died 7/10/17

GRAVE REF.: VII. I. 10.

Once again very many thanks for the offer.

With best wishes for your trip.

David

I visited Dozinghem a couple of years ago and there was a notice in the Visitors Book/ Register box from a local man who was trying to research all the soldiers buried there. I have mentioned this before on the forum but have heard nothing about it since.

Mark,

A month ago I was contacted by someone who probably is the person you are referring to. (His father's farm was in the immediate vicinity of Dozinghem Mil. Cem. and the C.C.S.)

For the past 5 years he has been trying to obtain all possible information about the men buried there (approx. 3,000) and so far has contacted relatives of about 70 of them.

So, as far as I know he is still continuing his research.

Aurel

The weather was adequate and I am pleased to say that I had enough time to visit Dozinghem on Friday. I have photographs for Kate and David so please email me so I may send you the requested images.

The person who is researching the Cemetery is still doing so. If anyone would like his email address, please contact me. He is doing his research with the knowledge of CWGC and has included a letter of explanation in the visitor's book. His grandparents were living in the farm that can be seen from the cemetery, during WW1, and he was brought up there seeing Dozinghem every day. He now lives in another part of Belgium but always visits the cemetery when he returns home to the farm to see his parents. He writes that he has received information from over 50 relatives, so far.

I am posting photographs of the cemetery and one of Pte.David Walter's stone, the main reason for my visit to Dozinghem. David Walters is commemorated on the Rhayader Memorial and was employed for many years by my great great grandfather. My great aunt who is now 100 years old remembers fishing in the River Wye with David's sister. His stone was the only one of those that I photographed that had an inscription. "Mourned by All" The local newspaper at the time referred to him as a "general favourite" and said that he died in the casualty station of a gunshot wound to the back. The newspaper continues to describe how he was one of the "brave Welsh lads who smashed the Kaiser's favourite regiment the Cockchafers and evidently one of those who had rushed beyond the lines of the Germans, some of whom had been overlooked in the trenches, and the miserable crew sniped our lads in the back such was the fate of kind and genial Dai Walters."

David Rees Walters joined up with the Herefords in 1915 and was later transferred to the South Wales Borderers. He was probably shot on 31st July 1917 at Pilckem Ridge.

Myrtle

post-12-1096287223.jpg