Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cannock Chase and the Messines Model

spconnolly007

Almost a 6 hour round trip, but I had to see it in the flesh before it gets covered up again and disappears under the scrubland from whence it came. A good number of volunteers were busy with their trowels as I turned up. Amazing detail, even after the best part of a century!

post-79848-0-85778900-1380476534_thumb.j

From there I visited FREDA, the NZ Rifle Brigade's mascot.

post-79848-0-33126700-1380477670_thumb.j

Leaving the model behind, I made my way to the German Military Cemetery. I spotted this concrete structure on the way, which turned out to be part of the original coal store and weighbridge of Brocton Camp. The camp railway ran behind the wall, which passed a range of ASC stores back in the direction of the model.

post-79848-0-46310700-1380478308_thumb.j

post-79848-0-72547200-1380478353_thumb.j

Of the 4,941 burials at the German Cemetery: 2,143 died during WW1 and 2,798 during WW2.

post-79848-0-11055800-1380479781_thumb.j

Hi I went to Cannock Chase last June I have some pictures aswell.

ibgrpl.jpg

2drba8m.jpg

1zp5m35.jpg

a5aqfo.jpg

and finally this was in the British War Cemetery just before the German Cemetery.

33f4y6f.jpg

Hi dannyboy,

Ive been meaning to make the trip for a while, but the opportunity to see the Model before its covered over again sealed the deal. As you can see from my 'signature' I have a relative who was killed at Messines, so anything related to it is of interest. Someone mentioned on another thread, that if you need a 'Flander's Fix' on home soil, then Cannock is the place. I would have to agree. Just wished I had made a weekend of it as there is plenty more to see if you go looking. Maybe next time?

Regards,

Sean.

Myself and my wife are lucky enough to live on the edge of Cannock Chase. We did a little volunteer work on the Messines model last week, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The archaelogists on site were a great bunch, very helpful and knowledgeable.

There are a fair few remains of the camps, including the hospital and other concrete remains. There is also a hut, rebuilt at Marquis Drive visitor centre - There is information on the camps and it is furnished as it would have been during WW1.

http://www.staffspasttrack.org.uk/exhibit/chasecamps/default.htm

Thanks all for your kind comments. We loved working with our vounteers and having so many interested and knowledgeable visitors.

I still have a back ache from my volunteer work but it was so rewarding the bug has well and truly bitten. The experts on site were a great crowd, very helpful and knowledgeable, sad that these things come to an end.

For those from far and wide who would like to know a little more about The Chase in the years between 1914 -1919 there is an excellent little book, well worth reading. ‘A TOWN FOR FOUR WINTERS’ by CJ and GP Whitehouse

tony2

I still have a back ache from my volunteer work

:w00t:

‘A TOWN FOR FOUR WINTERS’ by CJ and GP Whitehouse

tony2

I bought a copy at the visitors centre :thumbsup:

Hi

If anyone is interested, Ive researched the CWGC cemetery mentioned above and also all the WW2 burials in the German War Cemetery (together with a few odd WW1 burials).

Regards,

Graeme

PS. Good work on the subject of the thread. Most interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know when this monument is due to be covered up again?

Thanks

I think it may have been covered up already. Worth checking their blog, but I think they were covering it last week once the 3D imaging was complete?

Regards,

Sean.

Been there today (Tuesday 15th Oct) .......

The model is in the process of being re-covered.

It was about 70% re-covered today, the people tending the model have started to cover the actual area with black nylon or rubber material strips (about 3 metres wide) on top of which they were spreading lots of sand. I assume that top-soil will then be placed on top of the sand before turf or seed is placed on that to allow nature to re-claim the worked area.

There is a small part of the model still 'on show' BUT that will soon be covered and buried for who knows how long. If you are going to go and look go tomorrow or at the very latest Thursday.

Phone431.jpg

Phone430-1.jpgPhone430.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

APPEAL FOR HELP

Got this message through asking for volunteers this coming weekend to finish the project :

Dear All
I am sure that you were all pleased to be part of such an important and prestigious project that has been featured on National and Local news, Midlands Today and Inside Out, and will shortly be on Countryfile.
However, we need one last push to finish the backfil and preserve the model for ever.
Kirsty would love to see as many people as possible this Saturday and the following Tuesday(29th) and Wednesday (30th) October.
Please email me if you can come but even if you cannot email just turn up,
We need your help and Kirsty, Martin and the team will be so grateful.
Look forward to hearing from you
Jo
Tony

• 3 weeks later...

There has just been a feature on the model on BBC's Countryfile - it should be available on BBC IPlayer for those in the UK

• 1 year later...