Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'C' Battery Royal Field Artillery - what type of guns used?

David Lea

I'm currently researching the military history of my Great Uncle, Gunner 104915 George Croft of the Royal Field Artillery.

Unfortunately, it does not appear his service record has survived and the only information I have to refer to, are from 2 newspaper articles written after his death and and the CWGC site which state that he served with 'C' Bty 74th Brigade RFA and was killed in action on 04/10/1917 in France "by the concussion from a big shell which fell behind him whilst he was working his gun"

He is buried at Canada Farm Cemetery.

I'd be grateful if any of the experts in the group could help me piece together the likely circumstances leading upto his death? He clearly must have been within range of the big German guns but I was wondering what type of artillery he would have been operating at the time? I am presuming each side would try to eliminate the threat posed by the opposing side's armoury by targeting their artillery pieces as a primary objective?

I apologise if my questions appear rather basic but I am keen to learn and would appreciate any assistance given.

Thank you

David

Generally RFA Batteries were lettered A to D with A to C comprising 18 pounder guns and D comprising Howitzers. A lot of interesting information can be found here: http://www.1914-1918.net/cra.htm and here: http://www.1914-1918.net/whatartbrig.htm

Roger

British Field Artillery would most likely be using the 18 Pounder QF Mk 1 Field Gun or the 4.5 in QF Field Howitzer. The former fired a 18.5 lb (shrapnel) shell to a maximum range of 6525 yds; the latter a 35 lb explosive shell to 7,300 yds. The Field Artillery were always within range of German counter- battery fire and suffered accordingly. At Third Ypres there was little to choose between them and the Infantry. Both weapons remained in service throughout the War. -SW

Thanks Roger and SW for your informative replies, much appreciated and give me a starting point for some further research.

Kind regards

David