Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

TEM ribbon query

DCLI

I have just bought a pair and a TEM - see pic.

There are two TEMs for sale on Speedbid but both have different ribbons to mine (insert pic) Why the different ribbons?

What was the TEM issued for?

Can anyone recommend a definitive book on British medals to save me keep asking questions?

Regards

Anthony

post-23-1095843158.jpg

Hi there are 2 different medals here : The Territorial Force Efficiency Medal which is yours, and the Territorial Efficiency Medal.

The first one has the central yellow stripe.

This was instituted in 1908. Granted for min of 12 years service in the TF. It was taken over by the other medal in 1921.

The 2nd medal, with yellow edges, was introduced in 1921 when the Territorial Force became the Territorial Army. This medal was then taken over by another medal in 1930 but that is another story!

I restore medals and mount them etc and we always use THe Medal Yearbook and the latest copy for 2005 is just released. Printed etc by Token Publishing on 01404 46972

It is used by all serious and not so serious medal collectors.

tony

dcli,

the terriorial force efficiency medal was instituted in 1908 for 12 years service in the terriorial force. the ribbon has a yellow strip in the middle.

for some reason in 1921 they changed this to the terriorial efficiency medal (on ribbon yellow strips on edge)

a new medal yearbook is just about to be published by token publ. it will cover most of your questions and has a price guide!

enoch

Well I learnt something. At first glance I would have assumed that the wrong medal was attatched to an ED Ribbon.

Enoch

see my reply which tells why the medal was changed.

Regards

tony

Kirky,

If you would kindly forward your posts to another member of this forum who accused me of 'splitting hairs' to distinguish between the:

Territorial Force Efficiency Medal 1908-21

Territorial Efficiency Medal 1921-30

and the ...

Efficiency Medal (Territorial) 1930-1999 !!

:angry::ph34r:

Nah, not worth it.

Nice explanation, BTW

Regards

Phil

who accused me of 'splitting hairs' to distinguish between the:

Territorial Force Efficiency Medal 1908-21

Territorial Efficiency Medal  1921-30

and the ...

Efficiency Medal (Territorial)  1930-1999 !!

:angry:  :ph34r:

To split another....The Original TEFM Ribbon could be replaced in wear by the TEM Ribbon if so desired,as the TAVR Ribbon could also be used on EM{T} awarded in the latter existence of that Medal{even with },though it seldom was by any recipients...I prefer to think of it as getting the facts right rather that Hair splitting.We are in the "business" of preserving History & as such should only state facts not conjecture.so I'm with you on this one!!They were in fact three different Medals{& could be Awarded to the same recipient~you do see two quite frequently in groups~in various combinations,TFEM & TEM,TEFM & EM{T},TEM & EM{T}Ive yet to see all three but with War Service counting double for this Medal,I see no reason why such a Group could not exist

Just to be curious (because I can) would the adoption of the ED ribbon less than 10 years after the TFEM ceased not cuase some confusion in the ranks?

I imagine a crusty old Corporal with that ribbon on his tunic may have been mistaken for an officer with the ED? Or worse, accused of wearing decorations one was not entitled too!

The ED Ribbon is wider,as its suspension is wider than the ribbon carrier of the Medals.