Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Bulwark

historydavid

Can anyone help me find out how many service casualties there were when Bulwark blew up in the Thames Estuary due to careless ammunition handling?

Were there any civilians involved?

historydavid

Can anyone help me find out how many service casualties there were when Bulwark blew up in the Thames Estuary due to careless ammunition handling?

Were there any civilians involved?

historydavid

David

Late last year I posted something about a book or pamphlet being produced by the "Maritime Heritage Society", about the explosion on HMS Bulwark.

This might have some information of use to you? A search of the forum will find the original post.

• 3 weeks later...

Although problem solved - as a matter of interest a friend of mine has written a book - not yet published - on the Bulwark explosion. He told me today that approximately 570 men were lost. Not sure how this ties up with your figures.

Signals,

The figures I have are 798 casualties, including 4 Admiralty civilians (canteen staff) and 12 survivors.

Hope this clarifies things for you.

best wishes

historydavid

At full compliment something approaching 1000 men is more what I would expect from a ship of the Bulwark's size during wartime. I thought the 600 figure may have referred to a couple of months earlier before war was declared. As she was in home waters, approx 800 seems about right if men had been allowed leave as early as that in the war.

I believe only a handful survived (in fact "two survivors" rings a bell).

I have a letter belonging to a friend of mine whose grandfather I am researching. He writes about the destruction of HMS Bulwark and I copy it for your information. The letter is to fragile and faded to scan properly.

The letter was written by George Wood of Derby who joined the navy and later went on to serve aboard HMS Earl of Peterborough, a Monitor class warship in the Dardenelles. I don't know when the letter was written or to whom it was addressed (although I suspect it was family).

He writes:

My Lucky escape from certain death.

I joined the N.N. in the early part of 1915 being 16 years of age, going to the training establishment at Shotley, Harwich, for my training. I played for my dormitory at football. I had a habit of kicking my own ankle as I ran the right. Never bothering to have it bandaged, my sock caused sceptic poisoning, yet I still carried on with my seamanship training passed out with my class and was sent aboard the training ship "Ganges" to do gunnery training. Although unable to do all the practical part of gunnery I was allowed to pass out with my class. The day we passed out an order came through for "16 Boys to be transferred to HMS Bulwark". The next day a notice was put up that the following boys were to go, the first 16 boys on our class list, myself included, being the 15th as we were the senior class at that time. When I saw I was to go I went and asked out Petty Officer if it was alright with me being on the sick list, he said no, the next boy on the list will go instead. I came home on 5 days leave a week or so later instead of going to the Bulwark. However these boys went and three days after they arrived aboard she was blown to smithereens ... (then two words unreadable) .. with all hands with the exception of a boat crew that happened to be ashore at the time of the explosion. The unlucky 17th had met a terrible fate instead of me, so I thanked my lucky star that I let the dye from my sock get to my injured ankle placing me on the sick list to elude transfer to the Bulwark and so save me from certain death. it is then signed Your's Truly Mr G Wood

Kevin - I think his year of entry must read 1914 and he has confused the date of the 17th - HMS Bulwark was destroyed by an explosion on 26 November 1914.

I can supply a list of all the Bulwark casualties as recorded by CWGC.

Out of interest, a postcard of an unknown member of the Bulwark's crew recently sold on ebay.

See item no. 2274728714 "PETTY OFFICER HMS BULWARK 1914-18"

The following link quotes figures similar to those that I gave:

http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/bulwark.htm

It quotes the complement as 750 (789 when flagship) and 12 survivors.

Whether these figures include the boys recently transferred there, see Kevin's post, I don't know.

The figure of 750 quoted by the site looks a bit suspicious to me because it is a round number.

historydavid

ps was it a flagship at the time of the disaster? does anyone know?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

The following is from the 'Louth and North Lincolnshire Advertiser' Jan 2nd 1915

LOUTH SURVIVOR FROM THE BULWARK

Leading Seaman William Johnson, who is a Louth man, has recovered from the effects of the injuries received in the explosion on H.M.S. Bulwark, which was sunk in the Medway on Thursday November 26th, and is at present on leave in Louth.As previously stated he is the brother of Mrs Batchelor, wife of Mr A. Batchelor, boot repairer, Newbridge Hill and has served his country for a period of sixteen years, seeing three years service in South Africa.

An Advertiser representative had the opportunity of chatting with him on Tuesday, and he stated that the only warning he received of the blowing up of the vessel was a flash and the sound of the explosion. The vessel was blown to peices and he was thrown into the air by the force of the explosion. He was picked up by another ship at a spot about 90 yards from where the Bulwark went down, and he was afterwards told that he was shot a considerable distance into the air , something approaching 100 feet.

The force with which he struck the water produced injuries to the ribs and he was also hurt about the head and body. When he looked about him he saw a very small portion of the sunken ship, so complete had been the explosion. After being picked up by the ship he was medically treated and in the afternoon was sent to Chatham hospital. He was well treated in this institution and after a stay of three weeks and a day he was discharged.He was allowed 14 days leave starting from Tuesday December 22nd and arrived at Louth on Thursday 24th December.

There were 815 men on the ship at the time of the explosion and of these only 16 were picked up. Two were dead and four died whilst in hospital leaving only 10 survivors. Of these 10, three have been discharged from hospital, but the others remain, some suffering from shattered limbs.

Regards,

Steve.

As we have touched on official figures re losses of ship's crews my own experience is not to trust them. An example is that the official figure for HMS Vanguard is 804 but I have been able to corroborate a figure of at least 848 men killed when she exploded at anchor (no reply from the MOD). At least one friend who has made similar reviews of ship's losses has arrived at a higher figure than the official number.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a memorial to the Bulwark and Princess Irene disasters near the Sheerness War Memorial. I dont remember the names of those killed being included but I might be wrong - its a long time since I was last there.