Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1 man, 3 name variations

roughdiamond

On 19/05/1918 a 25 year old Pte in the 2nd Bn Royal Scots was executed for Desertion + Escape + Striking, straightforward you may think but no.

CWGC has him as 20808 Pte Robert W Simmes http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/167139/SIMMES,%20ROBERT%20W No next of Kin.

His MIC on the NA's has 20803 Pte Robert W Simmes http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D5159046

Same name, one digit so no problem, but

Scottish National War Memorial has 20808 Pte R W Simmers

Oram's "Death Sentences passed by military courts of the British Army 1914 - 1924" lists him as Robert W Sims. They don't list service numbers, but AFAIK they had access to the Courts Martial records when compiling the book.

"Scotlands People" Service Returns for Deaths list no Simmes, No Simmers, Cyril Simms and a Mallinson Sims for 1918, thats it.

Finally there is no Will held in the National Archives of Scotland.

Anyone shed light on this one?

Sam

Sam,

Scotlandspeople Service Returns only record Scottish born servicemen who died abroad. If he was executed in England he would not be mentioned. If he was executed in Scotland he should have a Scottish death certificate, which should be on Scotlandspeople.

The Scottish National War Memorial records Scottish born soldiers and soldiers serving in Scottish Regiments {who may not have been born in Scotland}.

Not all soldiers left wills, but only wills of those born in Scotland would be in the National Archives of Scotland.

If Oram's book shows where he was executed then this should confirm if he was actually born in Scotland. {If abroad then he probably wasn't Scottish born}. Given that his age is known, it should be able to trace a birth certificate.

Regards,

Alf McM

Sam,

Scotlandspeople Service Returns only record Scottish born servicemen who died abroad. If he was executed in England he would not be mentioned. If he was executed in Scotland he should have a Scottish death certificate, which should be on Scotlandspeople.

Alf

Buried in France so not shot in the UK, the only men I'm aware of shot in the UK who were sentenced to Death by a Military court were Spies and Sinn Feiners.

The Scottish National War Memorial records Scottish born soldiers and soldiers serving in Scottish Regiments {who may not have been born in Scotland}.

And Scottish born Soldiers serving with non-Scottish units.

His grave marker lists the following (CWGC's online listing notwithstanding):

"Private Robert W. Sims

Royal Scots

19 May 1918

Aged 25"

Yet, Ancestry.com has a British Army Great War service record for "Robert William Simmes"; I cannot access it, as I am not an Ancestry subscriber.

Trelawney

I haven't time to study all the pages on Ancestry but on a Regimental Charge Sheet (which includes an additional comment across the top LH corner, Shot for desertion and a scribbled date which I won't try and transcribe) we have 20808 Pte R Simms.

The previous sheet has 20808 R Sims.

Short Service Attestation has Robt. Wm Simmes.

Early records seem to be Simmes.

A casualty sheet has Simm.

NOK given as Uncle, George Edward O'Connor, 5 Rock Terrace, Durham, but this changes to his Grandmother who is not a Simms/Sims/Simmes/Simm either.

I don't know how many pages there are because I haven't reached the end, but when looking at his records it is important to use the back arrow as well as going forward.

CGM

Thanks folks, strange CWGC have one spelling in his Gravestone and another on their site.

His record seems to be a prime example of the level of literacy in the early 20th century.

Sam