Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Map 44a

micks

Hi all

I,m assisting a friend in reseaching her great grandfathers service in the 1st

Canadian Division on Vimy Ridge during April 1917.

The CWGC has provided his original place of burial as 44a.S.15.b.70.15.

Does anybody have access to this trench map as I,ve been unable to locate

a copy.

All the best

Micks

Micks,

I'm only going by the McMasters indexing, so may be wrong, but there appears to be a correlation between Sheet 44a and Sheet 36b, as if the former was renamed as the latter. If so then the location is just SW of Givenchy. Not my normal territory, so I don't know if I'm in the right field.

Click here

Phil

Micks

I am not sure where the 44a comes from, but I have marked S.15.b.7.0.1.5 with a green cross on this map. Courtesy of TNA Trench Map CD.

Roger

post-42671-0-07066500-1379793999_thumb.j

Martin

Thanks for that info. I wasn't aware of renumbering

The number change came into play in late 1917 and was fully utilised by early 1918. It was due to a new survey of areas to the rear of the lines in October/November 1917 and the production of maps of previously unsurveyed areas. Rather than renumber the whole series, it was thought easier just to renumber certain maps adjacent to the 'new' maps and letter them 'A', 'B', etc to keep the number order. Though the 36/44 renumbering of 1917 is , perhaps, the most obvious due to the position of the front line, similar renumbering did take place earlier in the war too - even as early as 1915 (hence the existence of '36A', '36B', '36C','51B', '51C', etc, etc.

Dave

Dave

More excellent information. I had seen A, B C etc but hadn't really given a thought as to the significance.

Roger