Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Baker

kelly

Hi all fellow enthusiasts,

I have a 1914/15 star meddle for (1)8229, private A Baker of what appears to be the Northern Regiment in my possession and despite interrogating ww1 records on Ancestry.Com can find no records for him or information for him.

Any fellow enthusiasts able to enlighten me on this individual

Regards

Garry

• 2 weeks later...

The only man/number that comes close is Pte B (Benjamin) Baker 8229 Newfoundland Forestry Corp's

can you post a picture of the reverse ?

16229 Private Arthur Baker was born in Nottingham. He was killed in action on 9th May 1915 whilst serving with the 2nd Battalion the Northamptonshire Regiment. I believe that on that day the 2nd Battalion were taking part in the 1st Day of the Battle of Aubers. He has no known grave and is remembered on the Ploegsteert Memorial.

Steve

• Admin

The 2nd Northants strength before the battle was 20 officers and 867 other ranks. Casualties for the day were: Officers 4 killed, 5 wounded and 3 missing Other Ranks 63 killed, 154 wounded and 197 missing for a total of 426.

The war diary can be downloaded from TNA for £3.36. The entry for 9th MAy is very detailed but you'll also want to read about what he did prior to that.

Glen