Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R. A. and A. S. C.

roselyn2

I'v purchased some 1st.W.W. medals. Most of them were be heading for the melting pot.

I've got one medal named. RFRA-9533 DVR. W. JONES R. A. I've not seen a medal named like that before. I've been told that the medal is named correctly as a a pre-war reservist in the Royal Field Artillery. Has any other member seen medals named this way ?.

Also a A.S.C medal with the letter R before the number. Can any member tell me what branch of the A.S.C. has the letter R ?. Thank you. Lyn.

• Admin

Hello Lyn

The R prefix for the ASC was for Remounts. They basically prepared the horses for service. I'm afraid I can't help withthe RFRA as I've not head of it before.

Glen

well done for saving them

David: You have been correctly informed concerning the prefix 'RFRA'. It does denote a pre-war reservist in the RFA. I have seen quite a few of them over the last 20+ years.

Dick Flory

if you have access to online medal cards you will see that some are indexed in such a way with the RFRA prefix to to the service number - although by no means all of the prewar special reservists (RFRA) seem to have had their medals numbered in this fashion. In this case that fits perfectly as Williams Jones when mobilised was posted to the newly formed 2nd Division Ammunition Column, formed almost entirely from mobilised special reservists and reservists.

Thank you all for your help. Collecting to all the Welsh Regiments with blinkers on when something to any other regiments or Navy,R.A.F. turn up I'm thankful for all the help that I can get. Thank you. Lyn.