Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who was Henry Daltry?

Chester837

I have been researching the men from the village of Swanscombe, Kent who lost their lives during the great war. In some cases, I have found great gluts of information; in others, minimal info however one man has me stumped.

The name Henry Daltry is one of many listed on the memorial on the side of All Saints church, Swanscombe. I have searched the following and found no trace of him. Nothing. MIC. SDGW. CWGC. 1891, 1901 & 1911 censuses. UK BMD records. WW1 service records & pension records. De Ruvigny's roll of honour and all the navy / marines lists. In short, this man seems not to have existed. Except his name is on a war memorial.

Could I throw this out to the experts to see if anyone else can find a trace of him. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I found a WW1 reference to a Henry J. Daltry :-

11951 - 2nd Worcestershire Regiment - Private.

37696 - Royal Engineers.

Medal Card ref - WO 372/5/155907

Probable long shot, however, always worth checking.

Regards,

LF

LF,

Thanks for your help. That Henry is spelt Daltrey. He was a regular soldier prior to the war and would appear to have hailed from London, there is nothing to tie him to Kent. It would also seem that Henry Daltrey survived the war as there is no mention of him at CWGC.

Cheers

Because he came from Kent does not preclude him from being in a regiment other than Kent. He could have been born in Kent and lived anywhere in the UK.

Does the church have any records of the names put on the memorial or who the masons were?

Johnboy,

I appreciate that fact but it would appear that the Henry J Daltrey that LF came up with was born in East London in 1885 and from what I can find, he had no connection with Kent.

Sadly, All Saints church, which was designed by Richard Norman-Shaw was de consecrated in the 1970's and I would have no idea where to start looking for the church records. The memorial is made of cement, commissioned I suspect by a Mr Butchard, who was the managing director of a large cement works in the area and whose son was killed during the war.

Chester837

My comments were not in reference to the man 'found', but just in general. A man could have enlisted in Kent into a local regiment but transferred to another before embarkation. When was the memorial erected?

nearest name that comes up in my peek at Ancestry is Henry Danzey. Presumably this name is on the memorial in it's own right.

Any chance of a photo of the memorial?

You may have hit the jackpot there. Henry Danzey did live in Swanscombe. There is also a MIC for Henry Danzey, Royal West Kent Regt who was killed 03/071916. He is also on the CWGC. I think you may have hit pay dirt there. Thank you.

Sorry, on the train and going through tunnels with intermittent 3G!! I boobed on the CWGC search, searched for initials H e n r y which is why the result came back negative.