Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

On War Service badges

abbrover

Not sure what section this comes under, so I've tried Home Units!

Can anyone tell me if the number on the back of the On War Service badges were unique to the person who received the badge (like a silver war badge). If so is there a surviving list of who a badge was issued to. I have a badge number 55682 and wonder if I can trace which family member it is likely to have been awarded to

Judith. There were "On War Service" badges issued in 1914,1915 and 1916 some round and enamelled some oval, all numbered to a particular individual at their place of work, as far as I am aware no lists exist as to whom these badges were issued. I have several of these badges and would, like you love to know who they were issued to.There was a triangular badge issued in 1916 purely for women but as before lists of the recipients are unknown, probably destroyed at the wars end.Ralph

Hello Judith and Glen,

If I understand Judith's post correctly, she is referring to the variety of 'on war service badges' that were issued for civilians to wear who were engaged on things like munitions manufacturing.

If my supposition is correct there should be some discussion's posted under Paraphernalia

khaki

ps., try under, On war service badge 1915

(k)

Judith. A little information on this subject, more on these badges is to be found in the Munitions File at the National Archives under MUN5. A list of firms issued with the badge is contained in a file but not a list of recipients as with the SWB. Ralph.

Judith

Do share with us what you find as I would be interested to know, particularly if there is any reference to the issue of badges to William Foster & Co of Lincoln

Tanks3

• 1 month later...

Tank3 Apologies for taking so long to come back, I've been a little busy of late!

I didn't have a lot of time to go through these files as I was really only looking to see if I could find out to whom a particular badge had been issued.

William Foster and Co were listed as a firm receiving badges in 1916 but that is all there was, it was just a list of firms, no other details

Judith