Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Armistice Day in France

Michelle Young

• Admin

Can anyone tell me please whether there are any commemorations planned for November 11th in France?

Thanks, Michelle :blink:

Michelle

I don't know about large scale commemorations, but there are certainly local village ones. We were in Authuille a couple of years ago on 11 Nov and the villagers held a ceremony in the little British Cemetery by the Ancre before marching back through the village to the village hall where there was wine and cheese. Seeing our British car they implored us to join them, which would really liked to have done, but we were already running late to get back and catch our ferry.

I don't know if this was a one off or regular annual event?

Tim

I was lucky enough to be at the service at Thiepval last year. This is well attended by French locals and officials as well as legion members and assorted Brits such as ourselves. Numbers grow each year and all are welcome for a drink at the Marie after - IIRC!

I was talking to Derek H. last week (many will know him as a previous keeper of Ulster Tower as well as a militaria dealer), much credit must go to him for promoting the service at Thiepval. It seems the WFA and other organisations prefer to do 'all their remembering at Ypres'.

It is of course a national holiday in France and as Tim says I am sure there are numerous local events.

• Admin

Dear All,

Many thanks for your help.

Regards, Michelle :blink:

You will find ceremonies taking place all over France.

There is nothing that says that these have to be held, it all depends on the mayor and the council. I know one village near me that lays wreaths and has a vin d'honneur.

Another village has a wreath laying and then the names of all the people who have died in the village during the year are read out. Then they go home.

Sometimes there will be a Mass, sometimes not, depending on the mayor's opinion and how he gets on with the priest (and his opinion as well). The vin d'honneur depends on the state of the budget and how keen the mayor is.