Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Silver War Badge B12105

LCpl Lee Cope

Hello folks,

As I build my family tree I've sadly had to disregard a few names who I thought at the time may be related to me. But now I'm on the straight and narrow and have confirmed one of my ancestors from WW2 and I'm certain that I also have one, possibly two ancestors from WW1.

An ancestor from WW1 that I'm certain off is as follows:

Edward Keighley Cope: 19040

Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

Edward was a collier and was born in 1899 in Great Bowden, Leicestershire. He died in 1960 in Nuneaton, Warwickshire.

During Edwards time served he had all sorts of trouble with his legs, but was still deployed to France and earned the Victory and British War Medal before being medically discharged due to his legs.

The reason for this post is that Edward was awarded the 'Silver War Medal' and I was wondering if there was anyway to find out if there are collectors of such medals who may have his?

That's correct CGM, his badge was numbered B12105. How would one go about looking for it?

That's correct CGM, his badge was numbered B12105. How would one go about looking for it?

Lee to find his actual "Silver War Badge" (it is not a medal) would be one heck of a task, but it may be worth joining and posting an inquiry on the British Medal Forum.

It may simply be a case that his badge has not survived, in which case, an example could be acquired quite easily from most main Medal/Militaria dealers.

Sepoy

Phew. What a task. My brother-in-laws late father used to collect these badges, yours could be anywhere. Good luck and I hope you find it. Ralph.

I totally understand the scale of the task, but wouldn't it just be amazing if someone saw this and just happened to have it sat in a box or in a shop window somewhere. The question has to be asked and I'll certainly be keeping my eyes open for the original, but in the meantime a replica may have to do. :)

I totally agree, and wish you luck.

Just a thought, would it be better to change your title from Silver War Medal 19040 to Silver War Medal B12105?

(Or badge).

If someone with the badge just skims down the thread titles they would pass this one by.

CGM

I tend to agree! I'll make it so! :)

I totally understand the scale of the task, but wouldn't it just be amazing if someone saw this and just happened to have it sat in a box or in a shop window somewhere. The question has to be asked and I'll certainly be keeping my eyes open for the original, but in the meantime a replica may have to do. :)

I am not aware that anyone has produced a replica of the Silver War Badge. You can pick up original examples for around £20.

Sepoy

Thanks Sepoy,

When you say 'Original examples', do you mean originals with no number printed on them?

No he means actual real badges issued to men who were discharged from the army during the conflict. Simply enter silver war badge into eBay to see. Actually there are some examples of replicas on there but they are mostly examples inscribed to actual soldiers who fought.

Yeah I thought as much as I've seen them on eBay already.

I've been looking all over the place, but having someone else's badge just wouldn't be the same.

I'll keep looking and maybe get my hands on a decent looking replica until the glorious (and very lucky) moment that the original turns up... If ever. :)