Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Old Contemptibles

ianw

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Is it the Robin Neillands one ?

I'm reading the Neillands book at the moment. It is not quite what I was expecting: little about the Old Contemptibles themselves, as men and as soldiers, and much about strategy, the influence of Henry Wilson, the incompetence of Sir John French and so on. I enjoyed the first four chapters more than the following ones about Mons, Le Cateau, the Aisne engagments etc.

Disappointing, for me at least.

I'm reading the Neillands book at the moment. It is not quite what I was expecting: little about the Old Contemptibles themselves, as men and as soldiers, and much about strategy, the influence of Henry Wilson, the incompetence of Sir John French and so on. I enjoyed the first four chapters more than the following ones about Mons, Le Cateau, the Aisne engagments etc.

Disappointing, for me at least.

That's exactly what I thought. Not what I expected, not even what it said on the blurb :o

To be brutally frank, I would never buy anything by Rob Neillands, I'm afraid. I did buy his book on Great War generals; after about half way I felt more bogged down than a Mark IV in the Salient. Although it is my policy always to read a book I actually paid good money for, this volume joined "The Piano Tuner" (by Daniel Mason) in the pile of books that I'll pass on to Oxfam as soon as i get round to it.

I then borrowed his book on Normandy, with precisely the same effect, though slightly swifter. The bloke I borrowed it from had exactly the same experience...I even gave it back!

It may be me, but I worry slightly about authors who produce large numbers of books very rapidly....he seems to appear on the shelves with more regularity than Ashes winners!

• 7 months later...

The effect of a bad review of a book I own is usually to make me go back and read it again, just to see whether it was really that awful.

I do agree, it wasn't exactly what I thought I'd been promised, but it was a good enough read for me to keep. I own two other books by Neillands; the Great War Generals book referred to above (in response to the ex's excited prodding of "Look, Justin, another WW1 book; have you got this one?") which I actually quite liked (and the fact that I got it as an Aus$10 paperback was even better), and still read (though the novelty wears off of some chapters if you've read more specific books on the same topics), and "Wellington and Napoleon", which I will also go back to from time to time (when I get out of the WW1 groove again)

I'll stand by Neillands. As I've said before, WW1 history is my side-interest, not (yet) my life, and I need something I can read easily on something I'm interested in at the time (that doesn't stop me buying more cerebral stuff for my off-days!)

Did anyone else notice the amount of repetition in 'The Old Contemptibles'? (Count the number of times 'cobbled streets' is mentioned in the chapters on the retreat for example)) Also, the way in which the timeframe leaps around. Not good.

However, it has inspired me to read more about the BEF. What would Pals recommend as required reading on the regular army during the first part of the War?

Jonathan

As per the earlier responses, found it heavy going. Put it down and yet to pick it back up again.

Dave

Bought it, started to read it, put it down and still waiting for me to pick it up again, not what i expected.

I seem to have repeated exactly what most of you have said so i should have just said,

ditto to most of you!!!!

Mandy

However, it has inspired me to read more about the BEF. What would Pals recommend as required reading on the regular army during the first part of the War?

Jonathan

Jonathan,

One of the first books I read was by Kate Caffrey, called farewell Leicester Square and then 1914 by Lyn Macdonald. I have the 1914 and can say even now I find it good for referencing, though its total accuracy is sometimes suspect, she muddles some officers names and situations but I stand by it as good. As for the Caffrey book, it holds fond memories but it has been fifteen years since I read it, so given i have read far more since it may not stand the test of time.

I have the mentioned above book but as yet have not read it.

regards

Arm

I haven't looked at it for years, but Mons Star by David Ascoli might be worth a try.

Yes Steven thats one I forgot i have aswell and is good.

Why have you got a picture of yourself on your avtar?

regards

Arm

Cheeky b****r. <_<

It's the great Roger Livesey in "Colonel Blimp".

Honestly......