Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Medal awarded

judii

Hello

I'm researching Sgt William Henry Adolphus WILKINSON, 131725 RASC for http://www.adoptadigger.org/. His service record in Ancestry says he was awarded the Military Medal "Lon Gun" (correct spelling?) 13 Mar 1918. Further on a card says "for bravery in the field".

I'm wondering is there more to discover?

Judith

Hi Judith,

Welcome to the Forum.

The London Gazette is the publication in which the awards of the Military Medal were gazetted. The entry will tell you very little in addition to that which you already know, it should however show the place of residence of the recipient ie. (Leeds). You may already have this information and if this is the case then it may well be worth checking the local newspaper for his hometown to see if there is a mention, such as 'Local Men Win The Military Medal' or suchlike--from this you may glean the reasons for his award. You will need to check the newspaper from approximately 3 months prior to the gazette date up to the L.G. date.

It is unlikely that you will find any further info elsewhere--although his service papers, if they have survived may shed a little light, possibly?

Robert

the war diary may help

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you gentlemen for your suggestions.

Unfortunately both of them were dead-ends. The London Gazette and war diaries were new research experiences for me. The searches I did of the British Newspaper Archives revealed nothing, but he certainly lived in a beautiful part of England - Speldhurst near Turnbridle Wells.

Once again, thank you.

Judith in Queensland, Australia.

Hi Judith,I can offer you the following information.WILKINSON W H A SGT. M2/131725 ASC ATTACHED 89 FIELD AMBULANCE RAMC. MM L/GAZ 13.3.18. THIS GAZETTE CARRIES AWARDS FOR THE BATTLE OF CAMBRAI 1918 (SEE THE GREAT WAR MEDAL COLLECTORS COMPANION PAGE 409) THE TIME SPAN FOR THIS GAZETTE IS 20.11.17 TO 3.12.17. The M2/-Prefix shows him to be a motor driver,in this case of a motor ambulance.No 89 field ambulance served with the 29th division from 26.3.16.

The 29th division were in action at Cambrai on 20th and 21st Nov during the tank attacks and 30th nov to 3rd Dec during the German counter attacks. The MM was won in this period for gallantry in getting the wounded away under heavy fire in his field ambulance.

THE GREAT WAR MEDAL COLLECTORS COMPANION carries all the MM gazettes and to which battles each gazette refers.Google it and it will tell you all the many resources for ww1 research it contains.

best wishes, Howard , compiler of the MM Roll 1914 -20

Howard

Thank you, this is marvelous.

Re THE GREAT WAR MEDAL COLLECTORS COMPANION - I didn't think this much detail of WW1 had survived. You have done a splendid job of gathering it into a book (which now is on my wish list).

Judith

Thanks Judith , glad to help.There were 3,671 copies of the Companion printed,over 3,200 have been sold,a number to Australia.best w, Howard