Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mentioned In Dispatches

rhimsl

I have a group which has a MID device on the Victory. Does anyone know how I can (if it is possible) to track down the dispatch that mentions this individual? For what it is worth he was with the 86th Field Company, RE's (Cpl. B Parkinson, #43811) and survived the war.

Thanks in advance to all who help, I really appreicate it!

Robert

The Despatch would have been published in the London Gazette,apart from most of the early ones they comprise mainly lists of many hundreds of names,you might be able to locate it by using the Gazettes on line,search,but being a fairly common name it may be a bit of a task if just using surname{& not knowing how his name etc would have been listed}Good Luck.

I've recently confirmed the identity of a man commemorated on my local memorial, a second Canadian, who fought with the 24th Bn CEF. The parish magazine suggests he was mentioned in dispatches. As a Canadian I assume this MiD would not have appeared in the London Gazette but is there something similar covering Canadian forces?

Gary

On the subject of the London Gazette...

I have a pair to 200603 Sgt H. Dolman Notts & Derby.

A local paper included his name in a list of mentions, I think it read something like "brought to the notice of the Secretary of State" or similar.

As a result of this particular thread, I searched the London Gazette for the Great War period.

The surname Dolman returned 47 results and luck would have it a search on 200603 returned one - his name in a huge list , the first page stating :-

War Office

21 st December ,1917.

The following is a Continuation of Sir

Douglas Haig's Despatch*of the 7th Novem-

ber,submitting names deserving special men-

tion,published in a Supplement to the London

Gazette of Tuesday,18ub,December,1917

I have had many failed attempts searching the LG but it can be done.

Hope you have the same luck.

Stuart

I've recently confirmed the identity of a man commemorated on my local memorial, a second Canadian, who fought with the 24th Bn CEF. The parish magazine suggests he was mentioned in dispatches. As a Canadian I assume this MiD would not have appeared in the London Gazette but is there something similar covering Canadian forces?

Gary

I believe Commonwealth Forces Awards were Gazetted too!! :)

I believe Commonwealth Forces Awards were Gazetted too!! :)

I must stop posting to the Forum before my first cup of coffee in the morning! A quick post-caffeine check of the London Gazette for "Canadian" threw up pages of awards for gallantry. Don't know why I assumed Commonwealth forces wouldn't be included really. :blink:

Gary