Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cemetery Maps from CWGC?

David_Bluestein

CWGC Question:

Are cemetery maps available on the CWGC site? (I know the "Canadian Virtual War Memorial", makes them available for each casualty) Also, I have seen copy "commemorative scrolls" with the recipients name typed on the bottom of the page; Is this something you can print off from the CWGC site? Otherwise could any one suggest where to find above?

Thanks in advance,

David

David

The maps are not yet available on line from CWGC. The commemorative scroll is printable from the CWGC site.

Meantime, if you want any CWGC cemetery maps I can email you copies.

Terry,

Thanks for that info! Appreciate the offer for maps, there are a few that I would be grateful to obtain. (will e-mail you off-forum-thanks). In regards to the commemorative scrolls: Where do you find them at the CWGC site? (I have looked, and cant seem to locate). At the bottom of the casualty and cemetery details there is a link for: "Display record of commemoration", which take you to a generic graphic of the soldiers name above a memorial photo.

Best wishes

David

David

I will happily email you any maps you request assuming they exist. CWGC did not produce maps for all cemeteries but they do exist for most major ones worldwide.

I am sorry but I thought you were referring to the CWGC 'Display Record' commemoration. Perhaps, you have seen the commemorative scroll which can be printed off the SDGW database?

Terry,

Yes, that's the scroll I was referring to.

This must be a feature available on newer versions of the SDGW data base, as I don't think mine has this capability? (It is quite old)

This feature was added to Version 1.1 (the first updated version) 1998.

I seem to remember that this version was available for a small sum (£25??) but you had to return your copy of Version 1.0.

If you want to upgrade, call N&MP as they may still do the deal. However, I think the additional scroll was the only observable improvement. The other changes were 'bug fixes'.

At least one of the SDGW "bug fixes" is well worth having. A search for (as I recall) surnames beginning "dy" or "dys" or similar simply didn't work on the original version.

I can't remember if this was on Version 1.0 or is also an addition to Version 1.1.....

On Officers Died there is an Memoranda section giving additional info and new entries.

Does version 1.1 correct some of the "whole battalion" omissions encountered on 1.0 ?

The one ,if my memory serves me correctly, that I can think of is the 11/N.F.'s.

Dave. ;)

Thanks Terry.

Looks like the upgrade may be well worth it then. (the 11th simply doesn't exist on my version (1.0)).

Dave :)