Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CLLE Sight Question

Deerhunter

Apologies if this has been posted before, but what would be the significance of a Long Lee, CLLE or MLE which didn't have volley sights fitted - or indeed had never had them? The majority of these I have seen have had volley sights, together with SMLEs and conversions to SMLE dating around the same period of manufacture, or redesignation, i.e. 1909 - 10 or slightly later.

Thanks in advance

DH

I would suspect this would mean they were a commercial version.

The wrist stamping and or proofs might well tell you (if it says BSA Co etc) but without the royal cypher.

I believe commercial "long" lees were produced after they had ceased military production and for some time after the war (certainly barrels were).

All military variants of the MLE/CLLE which I am aware had the volley sights. Having said that, some of the commercial rifles were also equipped with dial (volley)sights, I believe it was an option. At some point I saw some print commercial ads describing the various configurations available and sighting was one of them. I have a commercial MLE which is fitted with dial sights.

Chris

EDIT:

Commercial MLE Military MLE

post-14525-0-76813300-1379020836_thumb.j post-14525-0-25517200-1379020837_thumb.j

Some "plain" forends also turn up on ex-military rifles that have been in South Africa. It appears that those particular rifles were refurbished - they also have non-original barrels, including BSA commercial. Possibly/probably the plain forends were a 1920s commercial item used on private rifles and on some surplus rifle contracts.