Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Beggar's Bush barracks, Dublin. Vickers on a gun carriage?

depaor01

Hi all,

Found this beauty in our library digital photos collection.

post-42233-0-45956200-1378979494_thumb.j

Never seen it before and I'm hoping someone can identify the year (I'm guessing pre-1916), the regiment (can't make out the cap badges - I'm seeing harps, but I could be imagining that!) and most importantly, was it usual to carry a Vickers on a gun carriage???

Thanks as always,

Dave

Your photo links in with several other recent threads, showing the gun on a Maltese Cart being drawn by a cob ! Quite normal for the guns to go on transport - the only real failing of Maxim derived machine guns, plus tripod, was their weight, but it looks like this one is rigged for anti aircraft mode. I would have thought that shooting the gun like this would have had the cart jumping around, unless there was some form of bracing or outrigging.

I think that's a Maxim on a mk III infantry carriage - well before WW1. The gun was reversed for travel otherwise the barrel could hit the ground. - nothing to do with AA fire.

A similar photo taken in Melbourne

post-9885-0-25367600-1379001493_thumb.jp

There were three models of infantry carriage for the Maxim - I think this one is the Mk II. In "Army Life in the 90s" there is a photo of a Maxim on the Mk I on exercises in Malta. There were also several Cavalry models that allowed the gun to be brought up at the gallop and the Navy also had a man pulled carriage (horses being awkward to keep on board warships). There were also three models of tripod for the Maxim and two parapet mounts for fortress use

The soldiers look as if they are carrying SMLEs. They also look as if they are wearing pattern 08 webbing and the officer is wearing cuff rank and an open necked tunic ( I think) so at least 1908

Greg

Quite possible - the Maxim Infantry carriage III was still around then - although on its way out

Thanks all for your input on this one. I shall update the keywords on our archive which until now read "Barracks".

Much appreciated,

Dave.