Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Coronation Marathon medal

W.J.Caughey

Hopefully this is within rules and right thread forum , as i am researching Thomas P Watson, if not Mods please delete.

This medal/ i believe belonged to Drv 40086 Thomas P Watson, Royal Field Artillery who survive WW1, i received with other WW1 items of Thomas, i believe this is military owing to the possible military arrow (crows foot) methinks!

Been googling on and of for years and can find nothing of this Marathon race.

I would be very grateful any thoughts on arrow or point me to anything else that might help to identify the award.

Walter

post-64827-0-71119000-1378938145_thumb.j

post-64827-0-55306300-1378938379_thumb.j

Hello Walter,

The medal that you have posted, is typical of civilian devices awarded by any number of organisations especially town councils, they can be awarded for any number of reasons and often are of a precious metal gold etc., I have seen them awarded to Great War servicemen 'in gratitude for services etc' I think that the intention of these medals are that they are designed to be attached as an adornment to a pocket watch chain (fob). I think that the arrow on the shield is just an engravers embellishment.

khaki

Walter,

As khaki has already said, these medals were often designed to be worn as watch fobs. As to the ' Arrow ' marking on the reverse below the initials, I again agree with khaki, this design is typical of the engraving for that period, and is just ornamental and it is a coincidence that it somewhat resembles the official ' Broad Arrow ' mark, which was only applied to Government property.

I have seen several references to a 1911 Coronation Marathon being run in Australia, and I am sure there were also others. By any chance, does your man have any connection with Australia ?

Regards,

LF

Khaki/LF

Ah! now that you's both mentioned "watch fobs" i was able to see similar images, not sure about Australia connection its something for me to look into, his Son/Grandson lived in Burnley, Lancashire area who had them and were given to me along with war medals to take care of.

Well that seems to settle it and agree the watch fob is not Military, thank you both for taking time to reply and answer its most appreciated from me.

Thank you both.

Walter