Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Enfield Bayonet

Khaki

I am looking at a Wilkinson (1918) bayonet original length atc but with the first four inches (approx) given a professional looking false edge (very sharp) I have seen something similar on shortened bayonets done I believe in India, however I have never seen it done on a full length 1907 blade. When was this done, WW2??.

When I first saw it I was 'put off' but the more I looked at it and how well it was done, it actually looks quite good, could one consider this a collectible variant?

thoughts please

khaki

This is a known modification which can not only be found on R.F.I. manufactured bayonets but which also appeared on Australian issued bayonets in 1944 and which was performed by AEME workshops in the rear echelon. The normal length of false edge created is two to three and a half inches. It is said that this improved it effectiveness when used as a dagger. - SW

Thanks Sommewalker, excellent feedback, you are right on the money with the Australian ID, the guard it is marked D(broad arrow)D with a numeral 2 under the arrow, I think this has something to do with Australian Military Districts?. I now own the bayonet and although it is a WW2 modification of a Great War model I am not too disappointed.

thanks

khaki

Thanks Sommewalker, excellent feedback, you are right on the money with the Australian ID, the guard it is marked D(broad arrow)D with a numeral 2 under the arrow, I think this has something to do with Australian Military Districts?. I now own the bayonet and although it is a WW2 modification of a Great War model I am not too disappointed.

thanks

khaki

D(Broad Arrow)D is the Australian Department of Defence mark. The figure 2 is likely to be the Second Military District (New South Wales). Sounds like a nice find. Cheers - SW