Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which Ribbon ?

berniehudson

Hello

I'm trying to establish which ribbon would have been with the LS&GC Medal awarded to my Great Uncle Frank Wallis C/3265 Royal Naval Reserve

I've seen medals with a green ribbon and green with white stripes both said to be for the RNR.

Frank Wallis was born in Bridlington in 1882, he joined in 1909 and left in 1923

Can anyone say for certain which ribbon would be on such a medal ?

Thanks

Bernie

post-38799-0-85658400-1378802122_thumb.j

post-38799-0-53744300-1378802137_thumb.j

post-38799-0-47492200-1378802368_thumb.j

My g/fathers army LSGC awarded in 1903 was originally issued with a plain maroon ribbon (same colour as a VC). Did this then parallel the award for navy men ? I think that during the GW the ribbon was

changed to the same pattern as the navy award, but in maroon and white. He used to say that the ribbon was altered as it looked too much like the premier award, but always said that the long service medal

gratuity was the same as the VC gratuity. i.e. 20 pounds a year (in those days quite acceptable). I still have a piece of the original ribbon as well as the later and of course the medal.

I have an LSGC RNR medal isssued in 1911, King Edward, and it has the original plain green ribbon.

Thanks everyone, I'm now happy the green and white ribbon is the 'wrong un'