Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Bing Boys

Hello - I am researching the Hong Kong and Singapore (Mountain) Battery - known as the 'Bing Boys'. I have yet to get their War from the National Archives. I know that they were attached to the Imperial Camel Corps after 1916 but can anyone tell me where they operated prior to this? I am really looking for a very rough outline of where they started (HK and Sing presumably) but also where they served rior to joining the ICC.

Does anyone know why they were called the Bing Boys?

Thanks in advance.

MG

The name derives from a popular show in the West End.

The name derives from a popular show in the West End.

Brilliant... any idea what the content of the show was? I am curious to know how Sikh and Mohammedan ex-servicemen living in HK and Singapore, rejoining to serve in WWI are connected to a West End show. Fascinated to establish the connection.... Thanks again. MG

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bing_Boys_Are_Here

Interesting...still cant find a sensible connection though....

I know that they were attached to the Imperial Camel Corps after 1916 but can anyone tell me where they operated prior to this? I am really looking for a very rough outline of where they started (HK and Sing presumably) but also where they served rior to joining the ICC.

Martin,

There's a very brief outline of their history here http://newspapers.nl.sg/Digitised/Article/singfreepressb19410613.2.52.aspx

Mick,

Thanks for that background into this offen forgotten battery.

All Camel Corps sourses state that the Battery was named the Bing Boys because of the London Play. How they came to that conection is unkown but there service was well documented by all ex Camel Corps members and remenbered fondly by all.

All mention the sad loss of this Battery when under attack at Bald Hill in late Nov 1917 when there the no artillery to help beat off Turkish attacks, as the Battery was sent to help British forces advancing to Jerusalem and no artillery was given to suport the defences when the 20th Turkish Div attacked them.

Cheers

S.B