Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pioneer Harry Edwards 3rd Divisional Signals RE - died in Iraq?

BroadwayWarMemorial

I am researching Pioneer Harry Edwards born Henry Harold Edwards in Kidderminster in 1886. Harry is commemorated on both the Kidderminster and Broadway war memorials in England.

I have a copy of Harry's medal card which states that he was firstly with the Worcesters (no. 7577) before transferring to the RE (37053) and that he entered a theatre of war on 12th August 1914. At the time of his enlistment he was living with his wife and daughter in Broadway.

Harry died 25th March 1917 and is commemorated on the Basra Memorial and his CWGC record states that he served with the 3rd Divisional Signals RE.

My understanding (and I may well be wrong) is that the 3rd Division served on the Western Front throughout the war. Am I right in thinking that perhaps he changed division at some stage?

I would appreciate any help or thoughts. Many thanks,

Debbie

Hello Debbie

An entry date of 12 Aug 1914 certainly suggests either 2nd or 3rd Division as a possibility - 2nd Bn Worcs were in 2nd Div, and 3rd Bn were in 3rd Div. However, if he died in Iraq I think it is more likely that he was in 3rd Indian Divisional Signal Company at the time. This was a separate division, otherwise the Lahore Division, which went to France in late 1914 and to the Middle East in Dec 1915, serving in Mesopotamia (Iraq) and later in Egyot and Palestine.

Ron

Hi Debbie, at the top of every page on this forum is a link to the very useful Long, Long Trail. They give a complete listing on the Western Front service of the Third Division, which seems to support the conclusion that he must have changed division. Visit http://www.1914-1918.net/3div.htm

Hi Debbie, at the top of every page on this forum is a link to the very useful Long, Long Trail. They give a complete listing on the Western Front service of the Third Division, which seems to support the conclusion that he must have changed division. Visit http://www.1914-1918.net/3div.htm

Thanks, that what I had deduced from the website. I am wondering whether it is worth an email enquiry to the the CWGC to see whether they have any further information.

Do his enlistment date (Aug 1914) and his regimental number (7577) suggest that he was a reservist as they may open up another line of enquiry for me?

Thanks again.