Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

King George V

Khaki

As in short, or short and often at various sites thoughout the war.

Thus making his time at points. Longer than some unfortunate tommy? but non the less, time at the front and, or at the Front line?

Good question. As he was at war from the start given his position.

Cheers.

He received a 1914-15 Star trio which was issued from Medal Roll OFF/181 page 1. The National Archives show two cards for him, but I can only find one medal card on Ancestry.

The Star and BWM were issued on 14th May, 1920 and the Victory Medal was issued on 25th May, 1920.

I wonder whether he had to apply for these medals himself like other Officers?????

There is no issue address on the Medal Card, so may be they simply knew where to send them :whistle:

Sepoy

What.

No address.

:)

Did King George qualify for any GW medals or were his visits too short?

khaki

khaki,

Here is a list of the British awards and decorations for King George V, in order of ranking, which includes the WW1 trio.

The Most Noble Order of the Garter, Star, Sash and Badge.
The Most Honourable Order of the Bath, Star and Badges.
The Royal Victorian Chain.
The Most Exalted Order of the Star of India.
The Most Distinguished Order of St. Michael and St. George.
The Most Eminent Order of the Indian Empire.
The Royal Victorian Order.
The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire.
The Imperial Service Order.
1914-15 Star.
British War Medal.
The Allied Victory Medal.
Queen Victoria Jubilee Medal 1887 with 1897 Bar.
Coronation Medal 1902.
Regards,
LF

One interest point, looking at his Medal group in the linked photo you can see an OBE (I assume - could be a MBE). I am surprised that, due to his position, he did not have a Knight Grand Cross (GBE)..

I suppose he didn't qualify for his own Coronation Medal 1911?!

Incidentally, by special order of the Army Council, the two Prime Ministers Asquith and Lloyd George were awarded a Trio and BWM/VIC pair respectively, without regard as to time spent at any Front.

Clive

Thanks everyone, one thing I always admired about KGV, was that when he was visiting the troops he was not ostentatious in dress, but looked every inch the Commander in Chief. I particularly like the photograph of him and his officers climbing the butte de Warlencourt, of which I have a nice original copy.

khaki

From The Times of Thursday 8th January 1920 gives:

At 10, Downing-street, last night Mr Winston Churchill and the members of the Army Council waited upon the Prime Minister to present him with 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and the Victory Medals, approved by the King.
The proceedings, which were private, lasted only a few minutes. The speeches of Mr. Churchill, who presented the medals, and of the Prime Minister were quite informal.
We understand that the King has approved the special award of the three war medals to Mr Asquith.

A question of protocol I would guess: As the approval of the King is mentioned for both men, would it be correct to assume that, even though it would have determined the award conditions, not even the Army Council could sanction the award of medals at variance with those conditions without the Kings approval even it was just a formality?

NigelS