Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cheers Mike, not sure ive seen any footage before using the 'hair brush' grenade.

Regards,

Sean.

Cheers Mike, not sure ive seen any footage before using the 'hair brush' grenade.

Regards,

Sean.

Nor have I Sean, in fact, I haven't seen a hair-brush for years :(

Mike

Much more interesting to me is the fact that the soldier (from 00.56 on) is carrying a .256 inch Japanese Arisaka. I think it is a Type 38 (British Pattern 1907).

I know the Middlesex Regt. were issued with these in 1915 so this suggests the bombing range is in England rather than France as the Arisakas were only used by the army whilst training.

Regards

TonyE

In the first film the officer is seen assisting the O/R in fitting the igniter set to a Number 15 'Cricket Ball' These grenades were hastily manufactured from about May 1915 due to the shortage of Mills bombs and were issued for the Battle of Loos in September 1915. Their failure in that battle (susceptibility to damp) led to them being relegated to catapult use only officially although they still played their part as hand grenades at Gallipoli and many were sent to Russia. Weekly production had reached 500,000 by November. I would guess that the film was probably shot either late in 1915 or early in 1916 during the training of the New Armies. - SW

Sounds like a grenade that you would light and throw as far away as quickly as possible.