Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ernest William Cope

LCpl Lee Cope

Hello folks,

I've made another interesting discovery on my family tree and was wondering if anyone had a moment to take a look. I'm a little puzzled as my Granddad 'Ernest William Cope' has 2 pension papers and 3x medal cards for some reason? Could someone please clear this up for me.

This is one pension record.

This is another.

post-99831-0-77746200-1378336539_thumb.j

post-99831-0-32129800-1378336624_thumb.j

The forms have different numbers and wording. The first one states ;For the duration of the War, with the colours and in the army reserve.

The second states; For the duration of the war.

Could be the 1st form should not have been used. In the second he is put in a different regiment.

The forms look like attestation.signing on forms not pension cards.

Can you post the Medal Cards? Do any of them look like this one from the Long Long Trail?

swb.jpg

This is for a Silver War Badge (SWB) only, if the one for the Leic Regt looks like this, he may have been discharged for some reason then a year later enlisted in the Royal Scots.

The SWB was issued to men to wear if they'd been discharged to show they had been in the military.

The signatures look identical, so that'd rule out a Brother trying to enlist under age with his identity.

Sam

The 3 MICs are in fact SWB cards each referring to the next one. I note on one of the pension papers that he was discharged under KR 392 (iii) C - unlikely to become an efficient soldier - he is noted as having epilepsy, he never served overseas and looks like he was discharged and then re-enlisted. There is a letter from him requesting his SWB so he can take part in the victory celebrations and he feels without it he cannot take part,

Jon